Why more than 1 grinder in home?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
leonelbego

#1: Post by leonelbego »

Hi all,

I see here over and over again Home Baristas that own more than one grinder for home, why? I mean, I do understand for commercial use and professional baristas to have more than one grinder, but I would like to understand the idea/use of having in home more than one grinder? and when I say, more than one grinder I mean that you are actively using more than one, not that you own more than one but only one is being use ;)

for example, I upgraded my Eureka Mignon for the new Ceado E37SD but obviously I am wanting to sell the Eureka and currently is just inside a closet not being used, but I see some others having on their kitchen top 2-3 grinders.

Thank you very much and look forward hearing your opinions,
Leo

Elliot

#2: Post by Elliot »

Hey Leo,

First off, congrats on the big upgrade! Heard only killer things.

Some will have other insights, of course, but for me, having multiple grinders is about brew method. I have a Eureka Brew Pro dialed in for my v60 and then a Niche dialed in for my espresso machine.

As I plan on getting a second espresso machine soon, sometimes I wonder if I need a third grinder. :roll:

Velospresso

#3: Post by Velospresso »

I guess some use them for decaf to prevent switching beans back and forth.

Others may use more than one brew method and have a dedicated espresso grinder and dedicated pour over grinder.

Some may have different burr designs, flat for light roasted coffee, conical for medium/dark roasted.

Personally I have a pour over grinder at work and espresso set up at home. I never drink decaf so I can live with only one grinder, tempting as it is to add another just for fun.

leonelbego (original poster)

#4: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

Elliot wrote:Hey Leo,

First off, congrats on the big upgrade! Heard only killer things.

Some will have other insights, of course, but for me, having multiple grinders is about brew method. I have a Eureka Brew Pro dialed in for my v60 and then a Niche dialed in for my espresso machine.

As I plan on getting a second espresso machine soon, sometimes I wonder if I need a third grinder. :roll:
Hi Elliot,

Thank you very much! Yes, the Ceado E37SD is amazing, perfect for single dosing!

Also, thank you for your comment :) getting a second espresso machine is a big step ;) May I kindly ask why? Is it an upgrade or to have two different machines in home? Do you it professionally?

Leo

Elliot

#5: Post by Elliot replying to leonelbego »

Of course! No, I am FAR from professional, but have always been enamored with vintage things. Not an upgrade at all, I just like things haha.

As such, I'm hoping to add a first series Faema Faemina in the next month or so if things go my way. My main machine is an Olympia Cremina, so I'm also one of those "lever people." :mrgreen:

Much as "endgame" machines interest me, I like simplicity and wouldn't really want to dive into half the technology that is available. One day, bigger kitchen that I can remodel for ease of plumbing, I'll get something commercial in there, but in all likelihood, much more likely to be a restored Urania or Marte than a Rocket or Dalla Corte. Just a personal thing.

#6: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to Elliot »

Thank you Elliot, sounds very interesting :)

I do also like simplicity, that's the reason why I got the E37SD, it has one only bottom and whatever you put in comes out, end of story ;) no waste no nothing, haha.

I hope you get the chance to get the space you want for the machine with the plumb system

Espresso_Junky

#7: Post by Espresso_Junky »

I think having multiple grinders in use regularly is overkill. Not everybody has the space or $ to go that route. IMBHO my vote is to have one really good espresso capable grinder and stick with espresso as no other brew/extraction method will ever come close for me.

Quester

#8: Post by Quester »

I've owned quite a few grinders over the years, and moving to a large flat (LW EG-1) opened up new possibilities for lighter roasts-for me, night and day from the last large conical I owned (Ceado E92). But the large conical is fantastic for things like medium-roast blends.

What unlocked even more potential for light roasts with the EG-1 is my Decent DE1Pro. I regularly pull shots with the same roast on both my DE1Pro and my GS3 grinding with the EG-1-again, night and day.

I've also pulled shots with the same bean using my daughter's new Niche. It's a great grinder in most ways, but doesn't produce the flavors my EG-1 or Forte BG can-although the Niche might not be seasoned enough yet.

Having this much equipment makes more sense for me because I'm pulling shots for 30 people almost every Saturday and also pulling shots for business groups I host. The equipment benefits a lot of other people. Were it not for that, I would have a DE1Pro and a flat burr grinder.

#9: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to Quester »

Thank you! And yes, in your case I can understand, you are pulling shots for 30 people every Saturday plus do business events.... I just wonder people like me that only makes 2-3 shots per day but they still own 2-3 different grinders... I guess I am trying to understand the goal or sense of it that's all :)

Thanks,
Leo

Quester

#10: Post by Quester replying to leonelbego »

Part of it for some of us is an outgrowth of being an enthusiast. Coffee is my primary hobby, so it's natural to invest time, energy, and resources. Do I really need a refractometer? No. But it like it!