Why more than 1 grinder in home? - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by emradguy »

Two espresso grinders on bar currently, one for blends, one for single origin varietals. I like having both available at any given time. Used to have to do decaf alongside regular.

I also have one travel grinder for espresso and another for French press.

Have one manual grinder for backup in the house...in case the power goes out
LMWDP #748

DJL

#32: Post by DJL »

leonelbego wrote:I truly get it :) my main hobby is playing guitar, I got 12 different guitars :-/ haha
Are you a Fender or a Gibson man?

Yan

#33: Post by Yan »

My Dynamic Duo, from Flair to Chemex grind size, M47 Travel & APEX

leonelbego (original poster)

#34: Post by leonelbego (original poster) »

DJL wrote:Are you a Fender or a Gibson man?

haha :)

Defo not a Gibson man ;)

I play both, electrics and acoustics guitars, mainly acoustics, and there I am a BIG fan of "Boutique" guitars rathen than the main stream like Martin or Taylor or so... So, I do have a couple of Santa Cruz Guitars, Froggy bottoms, etc... and for electrics I got Fender Strats and Nik Huber....

are you a guitar player as well?

Leo

InspectorGadget

#35: Post by InspectorGadget »

Yes, if I had the money and room, I'd probably have more than one grinder.

I have the Mazzer Robur with the Doser, I love it. The threaded top adjuster has the advantage of being able to dial in anything you want.

It isn't for everybody and the Robur has it's adherents and detractors. I did have the M4D Macap before that and I found that the worm adjustment was good except when you wanted to do a different grind such as Turkish or for plunger coffee. The Robur is good for that as you can go back to the same setting except of course it does retain some grounds.

In pursuit of the perfect grinder is why many people have more than one...as there is no perfect grinder.

I do appreciate the design of different grinders. I think I am particularly impressed with Ceado grinders which don't have resellers here in Australia. Eureka have interesting grinders but I like the design of Mazzer and Ceado better although both are very different.

Grant

NelisB

#36: Post by NelisB »

michael wrote:I keep my robur e after I got the monolith flat because the robur is too heavy to get off the counter :mrgreen:

on a more serious note, we do the occasional robur monolith taste off 8)
LOL!!

How do they compare?

michael

#37: Post by michael »

different

with the robur you get a smoother, blended flavor

the monolith flat SSP highlights and separates more of the individual flavors in the coffee

I would do this more often but the problem is that it sometimes takes a lot of coffee to dial in the robur; if youre not using the same coffee as the prior shot (which always seems to be the case), seems like it takes 2 additional shots to see the results of a grind adjustment; if you don't hit it right the on the first adjustment, with these 12 oz bags before you know it the bag is moving towards the second half

I also have a kony e at another location; similar taste profile to the robur; to avoid the dialing in waste I tend to use a lot of the same beans

could be the robur e worked better at home when everyone was selling lbs

you got a MAX in the last offering, right 8)

Tennantscoffee

#38: Post by Tennantscoffee »

haha :)

Defo not a Gibson man ;)

I play both, electrics and acoustics guitars, mainly acoustics, and there I am a BIG fan of "Boutique" guitars rathen than the main stream like Martin or Taylor or so... So, I do have a couple of Santa Cruz Guitars, Froggy bottoms, etc... and for electrics I got Fender Strats and Nik Huber....

are you a guitar player as well?

Leo
Wow...another guitar player that likes Nik's guitars. rofl. FWIW..not only is he one of the finest luthiers in the world, he's also a helluva nice guy. My Redwood is a korina body and neck with a Brazilian fretboard. I have owned a ton of his guitars and there is nothing like them. I also have a Collings acoustic with Braz body and sitka top...I don't even want to know how much that guitar would cost to build today. I would probably need to sell my house.

Bock on topic...I am sure it has already been said but the bottom line is that different grinders do different things well. I have yet to encounter a single grinder that can handle all of my different brew methods. I brew espresso, chemex, V60, auto drip, and French press. I need at least a couple of grinders to make that work well.

leonelbego (original poster)

#39: Post by leonelbego (original poster) replying to Tennantscoffee »

yeah, I do agree, Nik Huber is AMAZING. his quality is out of this world..... having said that, I recently also purchased a B&G Step Sister Private with ziricote wood that is by far the most amazing electric I have tried in my life, in every sense! Period! haha!

Regarding the second grinder, you all convinced me, and I bought already (yesterday) the second one, I bought a Etzinger Etzmax Light, I will be using that one for my Chemex and French Press etc... lets see.... I am still a massive fan of my Ceado Single Dose E37SD :)

InspectorGadget

#40: Post by InspectorGadget »

I wouldn't touch the Etzinger with a barge pole it is just a grossly overpriced Sette.

On Coffeesnobs, the bubble,burst on that one. It is just a cheap plastic grinder.