Why more than 1 grinder in home? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
shadowzenith

#21: Post by shadowzenith » Oct 09, 2019, 10:00 pm

I have a Mazzer ZM but the burrs available for it are unlike EK43 coffee burrs. It's either espresso or filter.
There is no one single super burr that can do both up to the standards that i prefer.

One solution is to swap burrs for different methods but that's just impractical and tedious on a daily basis.
Another solution is to get a 2nd grinder... it's tempting. lol.

Since i mainly pull shots, i've been using the Comandante hand grinder for filter purposes as a fair trade off. :wink:

false1001

#22: Post by false1001 » Oct 10, 2019, 12:43 am

With single dosing grinders you can switch coffees every day and still get away with only two grinders: one dialed in for espresso and one for filter.

Switching grinder settings between coarse and fine repeatedly can loosen the threads and cause the grinder to drift, which is generally why people have a grinder per brew type.

leonelbego

#23: Post by leonelbego » Oct 10, 2019, 1:28 am

Thank you very much all for taking your time and helping with this! I fully understand now the reasoning behind it :)

Thank you all,
Leo

CathyWeeks

#24: Post by CathyWeeks » Oct 10, 2019, 1:43 pm

1. I love tools and gadgets and experimenting. I've gotten rid of my junkier grinders as I've acquired better ones.
2. I have 2 main grinders (soon-to-be three). Lido2 that I've got set up for the coarse grind that I use for immersion brewing. I also have a Feldgrind2 for any grind that's not for immersion brewing. The Lido - as excellent as it is, is a pain to change settings - you have to count revolutions and hash marks and then just remember them. So, Lido is for everyday use, and the easy-to-change-settings Feldgrind is for when I feel like an Aeropress or a Moka pot brew or pouroever, or whatever.
3. I'm getting a Aerspeed for my travel kit.

I think I should be done for awhile. (Probably not, but that's the idea).

michael

#25: Post by michael » Oct 10, 2019, 1:59 pm

I keep my robur e after I got the monolith flat because the robur is too heavy to get off the counter :mrgreen:

on a more serious note, we do the occasional robur monolith taste off 8)

thirdcrackfourthwave

#26: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave » Oct 10, 2019, 8:55 pm

I have a manual for the apocalypse and camping.

jpsm

#27: Post by jpsm » Oct 11, 2019, 3:47 am

3 grinders for me at the moment. 2 espresso grinders and a single dosing grinder. I use the e65s for light-medium roasted beans because no matter what I put in, it gives me a super fluffy ground and the 75e for dark roasted beans. Or sometimes I just drop whatever i prefer on the e65s and the more adventurous one on the other. Also I usually have guests all the time so having 3 grinders is awesome as I can serve 3 kinds of coffee depending on what they prefer.

MntnMan62

#28: Post by MntnMan62 » Oct 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

I currently have one grinder. A Baratza Virtuoso. I got it because I was looking for a grinder that could give me a larger grind for french press, which the Virutoso excels at. I've been considering an espresso machine and would likely buy another grinder that does espresso better than the Virtuoso.

redbone

#29: Post by redbone » Oct 11, 2019, 1:07 pm

Two grinders are ideal if you grind for espresso and pour over often. Use a K30 for espresso which holds it's settings well and a Xeoleo ghost burr grinder for various drip, pour over grinding. No need to constantly switch from small to large grind settings as would be required with one grinder. Also I find that an espresso burr is not ideal for pour over and vice versa.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

randomorbit

#30: Post by randomorbit » Oct 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

I only have one grinder, and I don't have room for another, but as I have 2 espresso machines with distinctly different grind requirements, it would be preferable to have a grinder dialed in for each machine.

Also I could see if I was wanting to experiment with a lot of different coffees (I'm not, but a lot of folks hereabouts surely do) it would be useful to have one dialed in for the "regular beans" and use another for experimenting. I don't drink enough coffee to experiment this way, but I don't like to waste a lot of coffee getting things dialed in either.