Why more than 1 grinder in home? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by leonelbego » Oct 09, 2019, 10:16 am

Quester wrote:Part of it for some of us is an outgrowth of being an enthusiast. Coffee is my primary hobby, so it's natural to invest time, energy, and resources. Do I really need a refractometer? No. But it like it!
I truly get it :) my main hobby is playing guitar, I got 12 different guitars :-/ haha

mohninme

#12: Post by mohninme » Oct 09, 2019, 11:12 am

My choice to have and use two grinders is very simple. My wife and I have different preferences and making espresso is something I like to experiment with. I use one grinder with a hopper and it gets the same beans in it day in and day out. Its the "house brew" grinder... so to speak. The other grinder is for experimentation and I am regularly changing coffees and adjusting settings. Trying to do this with one grinder just doesn't work.
Michael

sosha
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by sosha » Oct 09, 2019, 12:33 pm

To keep it simple.

My Niche is dialed in for espresso, and I don't want to mess with it. Single dosing is my preferred method for espresso.

I have a Vario for FP. 2 grinders makes it idiotproof.
LMWDP #440

lrj13

#14: Post by lrj13 » Oct 09, 2019, 4:04 pm

leonelbego wrote:Hi Elliot,

Thank you very much! Yes, the Ceado E37SD is amazing, perfect for single dosing!

Also, thank you for your comment :) getting a second espresso machine is a big step ;) May I kindly ask why? Is it an upgrade or to have two different machines in home? Do you it professionally?

Leo

I echo Leo's sentiments with the different brew methods.

I used to only have the T-64 grinder for all brew methods (Turkish, espresso, chemex, Kono, roast sample, French press) etc etc and with the worm gear (which is brilliant for dialing in for espresso) it was a mahoosive pain to go from espresso to drip to press and back again.

I got a baratza for brew grinding and haven't looked back.
I was too stubborn before but now I'm glad I bought a second grinder. Not everyone can do that but if you brew all kinds of methods, it's worth it.

I hope that helps.
poco ma buono
La Macinazione, La Miscela, La Macchina, La Mano

shawndo
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by shawndo » Oct 09, 2019, 4:16 pm

Some of us just have problems :D
My name is Shawn
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

leonelbego
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by leonelbego » Oct 09, 2019, 4:22 pm

lrj13 wrote: I echo Leo's sentiments with the different brew methods.

I used to only have the T-64 grinder for all brew methods (Turkish, espresso, chemex, Kono, roast sample, French press) etc etc and with the worm gear (which is brilliant for dialing in for espresso) it was a mahoosive pain to go from espresso to drip to press and back again.

I got a baratza for brew grinding and haven't looked back.
I was too stubborn before but now I'm glad I bought a second grinder. Not everyone can do that but if you brew all kinds of methods, it's worth it.

I hope that helps.
Thank you! It makes a lot of sense :) even to the point that now you are making me consider getting a second easier grinder for my wife's Chemex! Currently we are using the Ceado E37SD for my Espressos and for hers Chemex and is a really pain to go back and forth with the settings!

Hmmmmmm!

TheMadTamper

#17: Post by TheMadTamper » Oct 09, 2019, 4:51 pm

I have 3 active grinders currently. I use the hopper and thus have 3 sets of beans. My bulk "house blend" that I use for the morning to-go drinks, my active "whatever new blend/SO I'm using now" for evenings/weekends. And my decaf grinder. If I get into home roasting at any point, I'll likely re-add one of my sidelined grinders into the fold again as well.

Quester

#18: Post by Quester » Oct 09, 2019, 4:52 pm

leonelbego wrote:Thank you! It makes a lot of sense :) even to the point that now you are making me consider getting a second easier grinder for my wife's Chemex! Currently we are using the Ceado E37SD for my Espressos and for hers Chemex and is a really pain to go back and forth with the settings!

Hmmmmmm!
For $250, the Virtuoso is a decent brew grinder. Mine was much better than the Breville Smartgrinder I had before the Virtuoso.

mhpchan

#19: Post by mhpchan » Oct 09, 2019, 6:41 pm

I'm actually in the same boat of considering a 2nd grinder too. My current grinder is a Ceado E37S but it's a pain to switch between caffeinated for daytime and decaf for night time. Tried to do single-dosing on the Ceado but it's more time consuming and the E37S has around 0.5g if retention. Hence, considering a "cheaper" Baratza Sette 270Wi for decaf only.

trapperkeeper

#20: Post by trapperkeeper » Oct 09, 2019, 7:26 pm

I'm down to 2 that get regular use - 1 espresso, 1 aeropress/drip/camping/power goes out. Used to have 2 K10's and a E8 just for espresso - 2 regular beans and 1 decaf :)
LMWDP #600