Why is the Rancilio Rocky so unpopular here? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
networkcrasher

#21: Post by networkcrasher »

cafeIKE wrote:Before one embarks on a DIY project, the original should offer something unobtainable elsewhere.

Stepless Rocky. Yawn.
ROFL! :mrgreen:

Mark Well (original poster)

#22: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

And the MACAP MC4 "doser" edition is a nice choice over the doserless? I saw the technique to remove the clumps in the coffee. I don't know if the big clumps can really be a problem, when you tamp it right...If the ground coffee is equal and it is the same machine, same burr and all, i guess i prefer the doserless...

shadowfax

#23: Post by shadowfax »

cafeIKE wrote:Before one embarks on a DIY project, the original should offer something unobtainable elsewhere.

Stepless Rocky. Yawn.
Don't know that I agree entirely. Or, stated another way, isn't that a matter of perspective? The Rocky is uninteresting, in my opinion, because I believe that the Lelit PL53 is a better grinder in the price range--with no firsthand experience. That said, the 'stepless' Rocky mods I have read about do get you something that seems unobtainable elsewhere--a super-cheap way to make your grinder stepless, and one of, what, 2 grinders of espresso quality in the price range? If you think the PL53 is ugly or cheaply built or something, I could see it being worthwhile.

Kind of like all the DIY timer mods... we do it not because we can't get a good auto-dosing grinder with a timer, but because all of them cost a prohibitive amount over the versions of the same grinder (say, $300-$1000 premium in the case of Mazzers).
Nicholas Lundgaard

HB
Admin

#24: Post by HB »

Mark Well wrote:I saw the technique to remove the clumps in the coffee. I don't know if the big clumps can really be a problem, when you tamp it right.
Actually a tamp cannot correct for clumpiness. The clumps are more dense than loose coffee grounds, thus clumps = uneven puck density = uneven extraction. That is, smashing the clumps won't help because it won't correct the uneven distribution. Thwacking the doser handle or using the WDT helps equalize the density of the puck, leading to more even extractions.
Dan Kehn

malachi

#25: Post by malachi »

tamping merely preserves the bedding.
distribution creates the bedding.
the goal is even density bed.
so if your coffee coming out of the grinder is not even density - it must be re-distributed in some manner.
What's in the cup is what matters.

fizguy

#26: Post by fizguy »

malachi wrote:
As such - the audience here tends to be the kind of people who already own an entry level grinder (Rocky) or have graduated from an entry level grinder already.

This is why you get a lot of discussion of the Rocky on some other sites - but don't get much here (just as you get a lot of discussion of things like 3 phase Roburs here and not so much elsewhere).
I think a forum like that might benefit a newbie like me. Is it bad form to ask for the name(s)?

HB
Admin

#27: Post by HB »

I assume Chris refers to Coffeegeek, which speaks to a wider audience than HB's "espresso fanatic" demographic.
Dan Kehn

Ozark_61

#28: Post by Ozark_61 »

Geek vs. fanatic... that's great, Dan. We all have a problem :lol:
LMWDP #570

dynamiteid

#29: Post by dynamiteid »

I am sorry to read all of the negative comments regarding the Rocky doserless. I have been working on my espresso technique using a Vibiemme HX and a Rocky doserless for the last year. My experience has been that you can achieve a great espresso using a Rocky and a WDT. Yes, it did require a WDT, which is not convenient, but it worked great in a home environment. I was able to produce great straight shots with a little effort. Having said that, I have upgraded to a Mazzer Mini that I found on Craigslist, and am able to repeat those results without a WDT. I like the Mazzer better, but it was also $100 more. If I was cash strapped (which I was), I would have no problem using the Rocky. I was able to dial in my extraction just fine, but did have to use the WDT. This would not be convenient for a coffee shop, but for home use was just fine. I personally never had a problem dialing it down far enough for espresso. I could choke my machine well before the zero point, and was able to work within the 2-4 second increments of the stepped adjustment. Again, not ideal, but worked fine with some effort. I found the distribution and using a fresh roast made the bigger difference.

gbovino

#30: Post by gbovino »

I agree. I have had excellent results with the Rocky DL, without using WDT but rather the click-clack pumping action while grinding.

Here's a photo set comparing results of the Rocky DL vs. Max Hybrid. I just couldn't justify the cost difference to jump up to the Max Hybrid... and so the Rocky is still on my counter *unless I found a used Mazzer or Macap to accompany it*

http://flickr.com/photos/bovino/sets/72157605236111390/

This is just my personal experience... cada uno con lo suyo. :)

Gabe