Why clean my Niche Zero?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dndrich

#1: Post by dndrich »

Baristapals:

I have had my Niche Zero for a few weeks now. Love it. RDT has solved the static problem in my drip coffee grinds. Not needed for my espresso grinds...

Since the unit has so little retention, why clean it? Is there any good reason to take it apart and brush out the small amount of grinds in the nooks and crannies and on the burrs? Other than the stuff packed into the screw holes etc. why bother?

heytchap

#2: Post by heytchap »

Because there's oils which can go rancid and old coffee dust and particles which can ruin your cups taste.

dndrich (original poster)

#3: Post by dndrich (original poster) » replying to heytchap »

But there is so little oil left in there. And brushing it as outlined by the manufacturer will not remove oils. Is this just conjecture, or do folks have experience with this issue? Thanks for the quick reply by the way! That was like lightning!!!

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Get a second grinder for drip. You don't want to be running the adjustment ring back and forth all the time. The Niche can be difficult to get an exact return location, affecting the shot. If you insist on using the Niche for drip as well as espresso, puff it a couple of times with a brief run between them.

See Huffin' & Puffin' a [Niche Zero] grinder for an el cheapo way to clear the Niche grinder.

dsc106

#5: Post by dsc106 »

Academic Question:

Will not cleaning the Niche do any long term damage? Or will leaving it uncleaned for too long simply affect flavor in the cup, until the next cleaning?

SandraF

#6: Post by SandraF »

If you don't clean it, none of us will come over to enjoy tasting espresso on your setup. People will talk......

Hehehe. Kidding.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mborkow »

You should only do it for a sense of satisfaction if you enjoy it (I don't think it will make a difference in the cup either way).

#8: Post by dndrich (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Get a second grinder for drip. You don't want to be running the adjustment ring back and forth all the time. The Niche can be difficult to get an exact return location, affecting the shot. If you insist on using the Niche for drip as well as espresso, puff it a couple of times with a brief run between them.

See Huffin' & Puffin' a [Niche Zero] grinder for an el cheapo way to clear the Niche grinder.

Interesting. That has not been my experience so far. I have had no problems dialing back and forth. Drip in the morning and espresso in the afternoon. It has been consistent for me. It is part of the reason I purchased it.

ecuew

#9: Post by ecuew »

I get buildup, most notably on the 'sweeper arms' below the inner burr. That's why I clean mine regularly -- after a few weeks shot times get weird.

#10: Post by dndrich (original poster) »

Interesting. I have not had that yet. Good to know. I may check that out.