Why Clean Grinder Used Daily?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Kafana Nick

#1: Post by Kafana Nick »

Hello All,

While I am meticulous in my cleaning of my espresso machine, I have yet to clean the grinder I purchased 6 months ago. The reason is that I use the grinder every day, for about 5 double shots. My thinking is that with so much fresh coffee coming down the path every day, it acts as a cleaning agent itself. Is there a benefit to disassembly/cleaning with such regular use?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC replying to Kafana Nick »

By this logic you should never wash a glass used for water or coffee cup?

Yes there is a benefit, your grinder surfaces won't be covered with rancid coffee oils. Coffee (contrary to popular belief) is not actually a cleaner!

I am actually going to guess you don't drop (remove) your shower screen and clean it and behind it often enough either...

Advertisement
bach

#3: Post by bach »

I used to not clean my grinder until I actually took it apart for the first time. I was shocked at how much sticky fines were inside my grinder. Even more shocking was the immediately noticeable improvement in flavour once cleaned out.

Just have a go and take it apart - I think you'll come away with the same opinion :)

I now clean my grinder more meticulously than my espresso machine.

Kafana Nick (original poster)

#4: Post by Kafana Nick (original poster) »

DaveC wrote: I am actually going to guess you don't drop (remove) your shower screen and clean it and behind it often enough either...
HOW DID YOU KNOW???

In fact, in 6 months of daily use, I have never removed the screen. But I thoroughly brush it and flush it after every session.

Insufficient?

Guess I will go to town on machine and grinder today.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

I think it depends on the grinder and the roast. I Roast to after 1C and before 2C. I grind in a Sette. I rarely clean the Sette, and when I do I'm always surprised at how clean it is. I have other grinders and used to roast into 2C. Cleaning those grinders regularly was essential. How much is the roast a factor and how much is the grinder a factor, I don't know. As it happens, I switched to the Sette at about the same time I started experimenting with lighter roasts for espresso.

def

#6: Post by def »

Cleaning your grinder is like cleaning a shovel or the bottom of your shoes.

Right? :twisted:

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC »

Kafana Nick wrote:HOW DID YOU KNOW???

In fact, in 6 months of daily use, I have never removed the screen. But I thoroughly brush it and flush it after every session.

Insufficient?

Guess I will go to town on machine and grinder today.
When you remove the shower screen take a few photos of the group underneath and the back of the screen to remind you, then remove and clean it every couple of days instead.

You have spent a lot of money on equipment and coffee, a real shame not to keep the machine clean so it tastes good.

Advertisement
John49

#8: Post by John49 »

def wrote:Cleaning your grinder is like cleaning a shovel or the bottom of your shoes.

Right? :twisted:
If you eat off them.

CarloM

#9: Post by CarloM »

I look forward to your impression when you drop your screen.

I drop and clean it every 1-2 weeks (as I can remember). The longer I wait, the more coffee "grime" (for lack of a better word) accumulates on both the *inside* of the screen as well as the underside of the group head that the screen covers. The longer you leave it uncleaned, the more grime will accumulate and add unwanted flavors into your coffee. I think I went a few months when I first bought my espresso machine in 2013 and found the taste was getting not to my liking, like it kind of had a burned aftertaste, for lack of a better word. I finally dropped the screen and both the inside of the screen and the underside of the brew group was almost black with grime. I used Cafiza to clean both the inside of the screen and the underside of the brew group, even backflushed a little with it afterwards. Then out of paranoia I ran a lot of hot water out of it to make sure I wasn't drinking Cafiza afterwards.

My espresso immediately tasted better the next shot I made, with no change to beans, grind, etc. Ever since then I clean it regularly.

DaveC

#10: Post by DaveC »

CarloM wrote:I look forward to your impression when you drop your screen.

I drop and clean it every 1-2 weeks (as I can remember)
Try cleaning it every 2 days....I mean you wouldn't use the same cup for 2 days would you?