Why Clean Grinder Used Daily? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Felice

#21: Post by Felice »

5 doubles a day? Man, I'd think you'd be cleaning everything in sight!

false1001

#22: Post by false1001 »

I think this is highly dependent on grinder and use case.

I have never been able to tell the difference in flavor after cleaning my Vario or Encore, I just do it as a part of regular maintenance. Haven't had my Niche for long enough to clean it, but I doubt i'll be cleaning it frequently. I don't think you need to frequently clean grinders that you single dose with, and especially grinders designed for single dosing. I can also see cleaning being much more important with a grinder like an SJ, especially with a doser. And obviously grinding darker, oily, roasts will necessitate more cleaning.

Like a lot of claims of taste here on HB, i'd like to see people identify dirty grinders in a blind taste test. And then I'd like to see just how dirty it needs to be for someone to identify it in the same test. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of users on here keep their grinder plenty clean enough. FWIW I think a lot of people would be very surprised at how infrequently grinders in high end coffee shops get cleaned, much less pepper grinders in restaurants.
★ Helpful

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#23: Post by mivanitsky »

I clean my grinders never, unless I make a mess of them with too much RDT or skanky beans.

DaveC

#24: Post by DaveC »

Nate42 wrote:Maybe its just me, but I for one use the same cup for WAY more than 2 days. I'm not totally gross, i do rinse it after using. But full on washing is a pretty rare thing. :oops:

As to grinders, I've owned my monolith flat for 2 years and some change. I've taken it apart an cleaned it once during that time. Once I opened it up I realized there really wasn't anything that needed cleaning that badly. I think how often a grinder needs cleaned depends a lot on the design of the grinder, and the beans you use.
Just to be clear the quote you took out of context re the cleaning every 2 days was in reference to an earlier shower screen comment....not suggesting a grinder is cleaned every 2 days, but monthly or quarterly depending on usage...yes.

randyh

#25: Post by randyh »

As a Pharos owner, I wonder what other Pharos owners do to clean their grinders since you really can't take it apart without losing your precious alignment. I suppose you couldn't be in the grinders need to be cleaned camp.

jpender

#26: Post by jpender »

I'm in the same boat with my Lido 1 grinder. I can't really clean the main compartment without a full disassembly and subsequent realigning. So over the years it has become pretty disgusting in there. I clean it as well as I can once in a while but for the most part I just look away.

randyh

#27: Post by randyh »

Also, what are people doing as part of the cleaning process? I would imagine just brushing out the retained coffee isn't going to be enough to rid the grinder of coffee oils. I would think most of the oils are imparted to the burrs and other surfaces during the grinding process and not from retained grounds. Oils are not going anywhere with brushing. In my mind washing with soapy water would be required, or a less rusty option wiping thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol.

Lateralus

#28: Post by Lateralus replying to randyh »

I do use soapy water for the burrs if I'm coming from a darker, oily roast. A nice soak and then I use a small brass brush from Home Depot to remove these from burrs. Inside the chamber is whatever I can get in there that isn't invasive. Usually involves a troop of paper towels.

grover

#29: Post by grover »

What is the proper way to clean a grinder? I occasionally wipe off the oils from the hopper, run some GRINDZ through it and then some old coffee. Is there more too it than that?