Which Mazzer grinder did I buy?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/macina-caffe-ma ... 1050426676

Found this on ebay italy, but aside being a mazzer Ive no clue what I purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LMWDP #366

benhogan

#2: Post by benhogan »

if my half-a$$ed Italian is correct. You got an old SJ type which seller says if for parts although says the motor runs. I would think it might be 220 not 110 also.

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#3: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

your italian is better than mine. It looked like it may be an SJ but I wasnt sure. If the motor runs, what could make it "parts only" worthy?
LMWDP #366

Bob_McBob

#4: Post by Bob_McBob »

A very old 380V, three phase Mazzer, possibly a Super Jolly? It's listed as a parts grinder, missing the burr carrier springs and grind adjuster collar. It is not going to be very much use to you in Ohio.
Chris

benhogan

#5: Post by benhogan »

you almost always will need to get new burrs. Also, on something that old you probably have bearings which go bad (loud grinding noise even when not grinding). Bearings are a $5 part but can be a hassle to change. listing says you get what is in the pictures. which looks like someone took apart and my guess is the screws are all missing. You'll have to inspect that cord/plug which looks pretty iffy. At that price it's possible you got a good deal if you are handy and no major parts are bad. You will certainly learn how the thing works and is put together.

I'm said it's a SJ type grinder. I think it was either the precursor to the SJ or europe only but someone else on the forum will know more bout the "mestre."

benhogan

#6: Post by benhogan »

McBob is right about the adjustment collar. its just under $100 at espressoparts the springs are fairly inexpensive.

I would call b/4 you order to make sure it will fit your grinder. its the same for the SJ and the Mini

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#7: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

So some minor parts look gone. Will a 380V work with a transformer?
LMWDP #366

allon

#8: Post by allon »

If it is 3 phase that will prove more challenging than just a voltage difference.
LMWDP #331

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

A parallel to your story:
A very good friend who knew I worked on cars and such (and taught a basic auto repair class) called and said, "Hey, Randy. Can you come over and work on my car I just bought?"
"Sure." I get there and find a massive 4-door Dodge, mid-70's vintage with a 440 in it. Ugly and fast. I check it out and it is overheating badly. In the course of a month or so we check timing, flush the radiator, new thermostat, had the radiator professionally done, new fan clutch, coolant hoses, water pump, even took the thermostat out, the exhaust was flowing well, and did more that I can't even remember. Last test run got it further than before- about 6 blocks before it boiled over.

So, next time, maybe ask BEFORE buying? :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

benhogan

#10: Post by benhogan »

ok, let's be nice. It's a bit of a mess but cant say I haven't gotten in too deep myself on purchases. What's done is done.