What's the Mazzer with me? Pictures of New Paint Job; My thoughts on Super Jolly!

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TimEggers

#1: Post by TimEggers »

Oh boy.

The beloved Rocky is barely 6 months old and I'm already nurturing a full case of upgrade fever. Luckily the timing is pretty good as I'm selling a Bass guitar is my local paper and I may actually have the funds for a new grinder.

Obviously I'm looking at the beloved Mazzer Mini. I just keep reading all the reviews and checking all the sites and it just feels so right. This will have to be the last grinder I probably ever buy (either that or a divorce)! :wink: I figure the Mazzer should fit the bill.

Please please talk me out of it. My wife is gonna flip. It was an uphill battle to convince her that I needed a Rocky!

So anyway what features do you appreciate most about the Mini? What things after you got your hands on the Mini did you realize that you never read or heard others talk about? What's it like on that side of the fence?

I hope to join you soon...

Edit: (3-20-07): Pictures of new paint job included now.

Edit (3-9-07): Please note that this thread has evolved into an ongoing discussion/diary of my process of my latest (and hopefully last) grinder upgrade. Enjoy!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Worldman

#2: Post by Worldman »

Replace Rocky after ONLY 6 months! Sacre bleu!

One supposes that a Mazzer Mini will satisfy your requirements for years to come...but you would also think this of Rocky. Perhaps the "need" is more psychological than actual. Heck, why bother stopping at a Mini since this will no doubt "need to be replaced" after a short time, as well. Go all the way up to a GIANT commercial grinder such as the Cimbali "Magnum": http://www.cimbali.it/en/default.asp. It has 75mm burrs (vs. Mini's 58mm), a 350W motor (vs. Mini's 250W) & costs ~ twice as much.

Ahhh...but what grinder will sing its siren song to you after you buy this next one?

OK, OK...there, I have met your stated request to talk you out of it. Now, go out and buy the silly thing with the $$ you get from selling bass guitar (presumably your own bass guitar) will pay for it + you will get a decent return for you Rocky.

Len

2xlp

#3: Post by 2xlp »

its messy, grounds get stuck in the chute( i removed the finger guard so i can sweep it out ), the doser kicks stuff out to the extreme left, the doser is a PITA. its also ugly in silver (though looks good in black)

i'd get the macap stepless if i had a second chance.

CyclingCraig

#4: Post by CyclingCraig »

yeah you should DEFINITELY not succumb to the Mazzer Mini you don't really want it OR Need it...

The Power cord on the Mazzer comes out in a weird place, the doser doesn't drop the grounds straight into the PF, The sweep in the hopper doesn't get all the grounds out(no offense to Mazzer owners, I am just playing here, both grinder are TOP NOTCH for home)

WHAT YOU REALLY! NEED is the MACAP M4 stepless :lol: (LOVE MINE)

But, if you are serious about taking the plunge read this, then read it again, then read it again: Grinder Review
Craig

TimEggers (original poster)

#5: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

2xlp wrote:its messy, grounds get stuck in the chute( i removed the finger guard so i can sweep it out ), the doser kicks stuff out to the extreme left, the doser is a PITA. its also ugly in silver (though looks good in black)

i'd get the macap stepless if i had a second chance.
That's interesting. I must admit all the hype of the mini makes it appealing, however even in the HB grinder review here, it doesn't really over shine the Macap.

I wonder why the Macap doesn't have more widespread hype. I understand the Mazzer has been out longer correct?

I am still going back and forth between the Macap stepless/doserless M4 or the Mini.

I do know this; my next mill will be a quality stepless espresso mill. Doser vs. doserless is the next decision and frankly I think I am leaning towards the doserless simply because that's what I am currently used too with my Rocky doserless. Plus I like the idea of not having a doser to clean (hey it's one more place for grounds to infest isn't it)?

This gets me back to the over all appreciation I have for that review, it highlights and examines each grinder and notes the minor feature differences. It would appear that quality (both grind and build) is roughly the same. It's a matter of what features you want. A highly personal decision and one I can hopefully settle on before the funds arrive!

For features I like the Macap M4. Not to mention it is a little cheaper (but not too much).

Where are all the Macap fans? Let's hear it...should I go Macap?
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

TimEggers (original poster)

#6: Post by TimEggers (original poster) »

CyclingCraig wrote:yeah you should DEFINITELY not succumb to the Mazzer Mini you don't really want it OR Need it...

The Power cord on the Mazzer comes out in a weird place, the doser doesn't drop the grounds straight into the PF, The sweep in the hopper doesn't get all the grounds out(no offense to Mazzer owners, I am just playing here, both grinder are TOP NOTCH for home)

WHAT YOU REALLY! NEED is the MACAP M4 stepless :lol: (LOVE MINE)

But, if you are serious about taking the plunge read this, then read it again, then read it again: Grinder Review

Are you kidding? I can practically recite the review from memory!

Yes I will only go stepless. No doubt about it, my next mill will be for espresso 100% of the time. The Rocky will be setup for drip/press.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

Genesis

#7: Post by Genesis »

I've got a Macap M4 stepless doser and love the damn thing.

My only complaint is that you have to clean out the chute. Ok, unless I want a Versalab, that's a pain that I have to eat no matter what I use.

The Macap is an awesome piece of gear.....

ebprod

#8: Post by ebprod »

We just bought a Mini-E. My wife absolutely loves it. She was sceptical of upgrading from a Rocky, but after her first look and use of the Mini-E, she thinks it is the best coffee purchase we have made.

But remember- I am talking about the Mini-E. We have the A model (buttons on top). This grinder has one-button, no hands, doserless grinding. And the grinder is unbelievably clean. We can use it all day and there will barely be a gram of coffee left on the counter-top.

I know this probably doesn't help, since you are looking at another $250.00, but it should stop upgrade-itis forever (or a very long time, at least).

-Joe

ccfore

#9: Post by ccfore »

I think you could not go wrong with either of the grinders. I made the choice for the MACAP M4, and I love it. I think it looks much better in a home environment, plus it was a little less money. Either way I think you will be glad you did buy one or the other. P.S. The wife will get used to it.............eventually........HA!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Na, don't get the Mini. You need the 220V 3phase Mazzer Robur! Now that is power, grind coffee and chip small tree branches in the spring to keep the yard clean. Sure, you need to have new power run to the wall, and a reinforced cabinet to hold the monster, and remove the cabinets because it is as tall as a 9 year old child. If that is not in the cards, then yes, get the mini, it is a wonderful grinder. I also love my LaCimbali Jr grinder and both will last a lifetime.
Dave Stephens