What is your grinder of choice and why? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lparsons21

#11: Post by lparsons21 »

I've been watching this thread since it started and I noticed that as I expected, every $400+ grinder had a fan, but no one recommended or even talked about the cheaper grinders.

I own a Mazzer SJ and an Ascaso I2 and frankly the Ascaso I2 produces a nicer grind than does the SJ. Yes, I know the Ascaso isn't as heavy duty as the Mazzers and Macaps, but in the home I suspect it will last as long as you need it to.
Lloyd

ppopp

#12: Post by ppopp »

Stepless Macap M4 for me. Upgraded from a Solis Maestro, which I keep for drip grinding. I chose the M4 over the Mazzer Mini for two reasons; it was chrome and some day it will match my new Andreja Premium, and the cord comes out of the bottom rather than the side, which is important for the way I place the grinder in my kitchen. From what I read about the M4 and the MM, they are equally capable and it came down to cosmetics and minor conveniences. I also think the HB grinder shootout gave the M4 a slight edge with neatness, due to a better-sweeping doser.
Peter

Know beans, know coffee. No beans, no coffee.

Rainman

#13: Post by Rainman »

I used a very trustworthy Rocky for about 7 years on practically a daily basis, and as Dan said using the "WDT" is a method to equalize the grind (sort of- obviously, it has some shortcomings). Then shifted several generations ahead to a Mazzer Kony just this past week. I'm still not fully familiar with it's use, and since I started using a Hottop roaster roughly at the same time, I may have lost a bit of objectivity. However- there is no redistribution of the grind using the Kony; just grind, level, tamp and pull. So far, the taste is the best I've had at home using the beans I've roasted, but I certainly need to give that more time.

Ray
LMWDP #18

IMAWriter

#14: Post by IMAWriter »

been "Super Jolly" for a couple of years...modded the doser....
performing the WDT on triples (which I do less frequently these days) the SJ is a fine performer....
Eventually, I'll probably go with a conical....maybe :roll:

howard seth

#15: Post by howard seth »

I like my black Macap M4 stepless w/doser. Was bought at a good price(1st- Line). Very solid -seems like it should last forever. I thought the doserless model looked nicer - but now I am glad I bought the doser model - very convenient - not much grind left over and easy enough to brush out what remains.

Howard

Spresso_Bean

#16: Post by Spresso_Bean »

I like my latest grinder, a La Cimbali Junior, better than the MDF and DL Rocky. It was used, inexpensive, and makes some of the gloppiest melted chocolate looking shots I have ever made at home. The shots are so smooth and I can really notice the hints of flavor from the beans. Should be my last grinder purchase, or at least that's my current thinking.

Psyd

#17: Post by Psyd »

I have a matched set pair of Majors, but the grinder that is my favorite hasn't been made yet. The M3 from Versalab was a shot over the bow, but soon some manufacturer will design a per shot (or per doppio) grinder that'll actually use a rather large, slow, conical burrset to grind 7 to 21 grams of beans into a PF basket with a nice, even, clump-less distribution, without needing to be brushed and cleaned like a stallion just back from a days ride, on a straight-thru grinding path, that doesn't spit grounds all over the counter. Oh, and he'll do it for four or five hundred bucks, and the thing'll be built like a brick.
It's possible, all that has to happen is that someone with the skills realizes that the market is there, and make the plunge.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

hperry

#18: Post by hperry »

Versalab M3. Cleans itself, so no residual grounds. No clumping, so coffee is evenly distributed. Infinite range of adjustment. Combination conical and flat burrs. Single dose means that coffee is fresh. Troublefree over two years of use.

Alejandro

#19: Post by Alejandro »

lparsons21 wrote:I've been watching this thread since it started and I noticed that as I expected, every $400+ grinder had a fan, but no one recommended or even talked about the cheaper grinders.

I own a Mazzer SJ and an Ascaso I2 and frankly the Ascaso I2 produces a nicer grind than does the SJ. Yes, I know the Ascaso isn't as heavy duty as the Mazzers and Macaps, but in the home I suspect it will last as long as you need it to.
Lloyd:

Why you prefer the I2?

Ale

gscace

#20: Post by gscace »

Mazzer Robur for me. As Jim said, big diameter, low rotational speed. And conical. At work I use a Kony.

I don't think the Robur is the be all / end all, but it is state of the art and I am trying to be current, since I'm purported to be running a research lab. Serious development is being done in grinder design. I'll probably score a Marzocco when it comes out, and then sell the Super Jolly that I use for decaf. I use a Kony at work.
-Greg