What is your grinder of choice and why? - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Grant

#61: Post by Grant »

My OLD favorite was my Macap M4....until yesterday when I finished my doserless Major conversion.....

God I love this thing.....wicked fast to grind for a double, nothing left in the funnel, and a quick brush to get the channel clean. Simply incredible grind quality and the mazzer funnel dumps it perfectly in the PF.

Refinished with hammered paint, and covered up the old doser opening with some aluminum sheeting. Worked out not too bad for $5 worth of aluminum and a pair of tin snips. If only Mazzer funnels weren't so expensive. Cost me almost as much as the grinder!

Grant

alsterlingcafe

#62: Post by alsterlingcafe »

Psyd wrote:I have a matched set pair of Majors, but the grinder that is my favorite hasn't been made yet. The M3 from Versalab was a shot over the bow, but soon some manufacturer will design a per shot (or per doppio) grinder that'll actually use a rather large, slow, conical burrset to grind 7 to 21 grams of beans into a PF basket with a nice, even, clump-less distribution, without needing to be brushed and cleaned like a stallion just back from a days ride, on a straight-thru grinding path, that doesn't spit grounds all over the counter. Oh, and he'll do it for four or five hundred bucks, and the thing'll be built like a brick.
It's possible, all that has to happen is that someone with the skills realizes that the market is there, and make the plunge.
Chris, I so agree with you. You'd think that a manufacturer could engineer "out" all the clumping, distribution and tamping issues without needing a suggested retail of $1200 to $3000 to recoup R&D and mkt'ing expenses, (the LM Swift as a loose example). Whether they do it conically or flat, as long as it performs, won't be an issue. My understanding is that Mark, owner of Synesso, was part of the development team on the Swift? Everyone I chat with says it is a great grinder, including Mark. But I don't see the Swift in many espresso venues. In a high volume location I think it makes total sense.

I'm a firm believer that more money buys mo'-betta' everything, including grinders. Conicals are hot, but as with any manufactured item, until that technology becomes a mass merchandised item, with a tight QC program to keep the Asian market from making lookalikes that don't perform, home hobbyists will continue to compare their flat burr machines and talk about "the clumps."

You may have seen Mark P's short article on the new and yet to be released Elektra doserless that was shown at the SCAA? I missed the machine and probably walked right past the booth without thinking there was anything of note; my loss.

Al in SoCal

RAS

#63: Post by RAS »

nobbi4711 wrote:One word about Ascaso:

Check out the I-Mini. It has no pf fork and no power switch, but the funnel is made of steel -> less clumping and statics
As Marcus mentioned, it looks like Ascaso is back at it. Check out the following link to 1st-Line's website:
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_m ... .htm#imini

Looks like a nice, budget, solution.
Bob

alsterlingcafe

#64: Post by alsterlingcafe replying to RAS »

Thanks for allowing me an excuse to take a break from my Monday paperwork! :-)

I went to the site page, and was a bit confused....... they use the term SALE PRICE in three locations, but the first location at top is over $600, and then when you look below at the options of "black" or "aluminum", we're down to a little over $200?

Where does this "38mm conical burr" machine fit, as compared to the MDF, Cunill, Rocky?

Best, Al (...leaving in a moment to check my PO Box in Lag.Niguel)

alsterlingcafe

#65: Post by alsterlingcafe »

Grant, you said that the conversion you shared....."Worked out not too bad for $5 worth of aluminum and a pair of tin snips. If only Mazzer funnels weren't so expensive. Cost me almost as much as the grinder!"

Grant, had you considered looking around for a similar shaped "anything" of ferros alloy, and then getting it polished and plated......all this to reduce what sounds like a very expensive repair part?

Best, Al

RAS

#66: Post by RAS »

Al,

I was a bit confused by this too. I'm pretty sure the Ascaso in black is $209, and the polished aluminum is $239.

As far as how the i-Mini compares with other "low-priced" grinders, the only two of those you ask about that I've played with are the Cunill and the MDF. I have a Cunill and love its grind quality and speed. Hate the static though. And then there are its looks... Actually, I'm in the middle of trying to figure a way to modify my Cunill, which has been sitting dormant for quite some time, to get rid of the dosing funnel. I've got a 1 1/2"-diameter copper elbow that I picked up from hardware store that I'm playing with as a possible replacement.

My brother has an MDF, and likes it just fine. The doser could be better, and I know getting to the exit chute for cleaning isn't too easy. I modified his for him to make it easier.

Al, you mention Laguna Niguel... And I see you live in DP. I'm about 10 miles from you in Las Flores (near Ladera Ranch and Rancho Santa Margarita). You'd be welcome to come by and check out the Cunill, as well as the rest of my coffee rig if you'd like. Just don't listen to my wife and how I'm trying to take over her kitchen!
Bob

alsterlingcafe

#67: Post by alsterlingcafe »

Bob........truth is, our residential is Mission Viejo, in Pacific Hills. We're neighbors. I'd love to have "you" come over and give me an opinion on some coffees I've roasted. I was actually thinking of trying to put together a small.....or larger......group of coffeenuts in the OC. Our family is a bit international, my wife being from Brasil, and most of our friends being European or Latin European. (Argentinians don't like to be called Latins! :lol: ) They're best described as "Italian Transplants."

Anyway, email your phone: alsterling (at) earthlink (dot) net

My setup is in the garage.....which is an interesting story in itself, considering I love to cook, and even I realized that there would be no way to build a "test espresso area" in our smallish kitchen. After about $500 of building materials, I ended up with a fully plumbed and electrified area that you see below.........

RAS

#68: Post by RAS »

Al,

Looks like we're in a similar situation. First, my wife is British... And, second, part of my rig is in the garage. I too love to cook, and counter space is at a premium. Plus, my wife hates clutter. So, I feel lucky to have my Andreja an La Pavoni (latter being a wedding present 10 years ago) in the kitchen.

I'll be in touch shortly with my number. In the meantime, if you can believe it, I need to get some work done!

One quick question, looks like that could be either an MDF or a Rocky on top of the fridge, correct?
Bob

alsterlingcafe

#69: Post by alsterlingcafe »

Well......from your response, I feel like we're looking into a mirror? :lol:

My prime grinder is a Macap M4 stepless doser. The MDF, as you noted, is now on the counter. I'm about to order another grinder for a second blend; be it decaf or whatever. I don't like mixing blends in the grinder, even at home, as the adjustments are just too critical on my Malabar Gold.

I've got a few more expense reports and emails to clients. I just got back from the SFran and SJose area last week. What a great trip as regards trying some excellent cafes. Call me.

My phone is 949-305-0488.........what the heck!

Best, Al

Grant

#70: Post by Grant »

alsterlingcafe wrote:Grant, you said that the conversion you shared....."Worked out not too bad for $5 worth of aluminum and a pair of tin snips. If only Mazzer funnels weren't so expensive. Cost me almost as much as the grinder!"

Grant, had you considered looking around for a similar shaped "anything" of ferros alloy, and then getting it polished and plated......all this to reduce what sounds like a very expensive repair part?

Best, Al
I have been looking for any possible funnel substitute for some time. Had a couple that came close, but they all looked pretty stupid due to materials etc. If the grinder was out of sight, they might have been OK, but the grinder sits right in the middle of the family room on the bar, so I needed something that looked "professional" to some degree...at least presentable. I used the 2litre pop bottle mod for a while, but my wife would have none of that in the main room.

Bit the bullet, and glad I did, but I will keep looking for a suitable funnel as the Majors seems pretty easy to get for cheap.
Grant