What is typical Baratza Vario-886 espresso grind settings?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GEGIJr

#1: Post by GEGIJr »

Ok, I apologize up front because I know this topic has been done a zillion times. However, I have searched this forum, YouTube and internet in general but cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps because there is no answer. Anyway, I've used a Vario-886 since February 2021. Prior to that I used Breville's SGP since 2013. Full disclosure, since 2013 I also use Breville's Infuser, the model prior to Breville adding the temperature adjustment and changing the backflush/cleaning procedure.

I was pretty happy with the SGP/Infuser combo and used the SGP to also grind for French Press and pourover. Of course I would have to adjust the upper burr to coarser setting when grinding for Press because as you know the default setting of 6 doesn't allow SGP to produce a clean and consistent grind for Press.

Moving on, I switched to the Vario-886 after reading so much about pulling shots based on ratio rather than volume (milliliters) as instructed by Breville's manual as well as by most best practices at the time I began using the infuser. Since changing to the Vario-886 I've had nothing but issues dialing in a shot from new bag of coffee as well as dialing in a shot after moving back to espresso from finding for pourover. I typically end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5•M to R but I see here in this forum everyone is setting macro at 3 or 4. So you know, I always use fresh beans within 14-21 days of roast and typically medium to dark roast.

Also, for full disclosure the first Vario-886 I was delivered had to be swapped out by Baratza during first month because it just stopped grinding. I've not had the same issue the replacement except that I had to get new macro handle because it broke due to being shimed to tight and Baratza sent me new shims, too.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

First, you shouldn't expect the Vario to work at its best until you broken it in with 15 or 20 pounds of coffee. This is from personal experience and something I went through with my Monolith as well.

Once broken in and calibrated to a touch point of 2Q I was grinding in the 3A-3M range for most espresso.

If you think you'll easily switch back and forth from espresso to filter you'll be disappointed. It will probably be okay on the filter end but going back to espresso will take some redialing in.

GEGIJr (original poster)

#3: Post by GEGIJr (original poster) »

Hi Pixillate and thanks for responding. I hear you. I heard @lancehedrick say the same about seasoning. However, I've been using it (Vario-886) since Mar 2021 and I average 2lb coffee a month, except for July and August because I use pre-ground cold-brew blend so I barely use the grinder during those months. But I keep good logs with the help of an app named Espresso Log by Aleon Apps so I know I've used at least 15lbs of coffee. In addition I've also ran Grindz cleaner at least 2X because I like dark roast beans.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by PIXIllate »

Recalibrate the touch point to 2q and see if the tighter half of the 3 range works. I'd suggest not changing back and forth with drip grinds. It'll likely lead to frustration.

I did take mine apart to adjust the belt and "align" it which led me to better consistancy. There's lots of info on here about people doing this. In the end I'm glad I got a Monolith and my Vario sits in the cupboard waiting for a second life.

GEGIJr (original poster)

#5: Post by GEGIJr (original poster) »

Hi again Pixillate,
I keep it calibrated to 2Q. I am sorry to hear I'll be disappointed expecting to move between pourover and espresso grinds. Perhaps I should have kept my Breville SGP?

Concerning the touch point calibration that's another sore point. I have difficulty discerning the sound for the touch point. I wish Baratza had devised a less subjective method for the calibration!

I did research for a couple of months before buying the Vario-886 and thought I had made a good choice. I guess I failed :( miserably. Until I got it and started using it I guess I didn't know what to research for. Baratza and the major coffee equipment and supplier I bought it from both assured me the Vario-886 would perform to my expectations. Sadly it does not. Which means it is a $650 paperweight including the single dose and shut-off hopper!
As for moding to a FortVario, or doing the alicorn alignment, even though I'm an x-mail machine, copier, and military radio repairman, (I'm now retired) I don't feel it's my responsibility to tinker with a machine I bought for over $600 and frankly don't have a desire.

Thanks again for your consideration and time.
Best Regards

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate »

I guess my comment after owning and tinkering with one is that it was a very good grinder that required an owner willing to fuss it into its best working state. In the grand scheme of espresso it is a RELATIVELY inexpensive grinder for what it does and a LOT of people have been able to get great results with it for over a decade.

In the last few years there have been an abundance of new home grinders come to market that may make the Vario a less appealing choice but since you own one I'd suggest putting the time in to bring it up to its potential.

For what it's worth even my Monolith requires a little fussing to get back to the EXACT SAME espresso grind. It's just the nature of the beast. Espresso is the hardest tiny drink to make in the world.

GEGIJr (original poster)

#7: Post by GEGIJr (original poster) replying to PIXIllate »

IMHO if tinkering is required to realize it's full potential then Baratza should say that in the product description and it's video how-to on YouTube. Frankly, and this not a jab on you, I don't buy new equipment to "tinker" it into doing what it was supposedly built to do out if the box. In fact, Baratza flat states on its blog dated 10/15/2021 on their support website at https://baratza.com/whats-the-deal-with ... alignment/
"Factory condition? What does that mean in terms of alignment?
Our grinders are built to deliver an exceptional grind for extraction methods from as fine of a grind as needed for espresso, to as coarse of a grind as needed for press pot. The exacting conditions of the espresso extraction process depend on the burrs to be aligned to provide a sufficiently even and fine grind. Our factory assembly process ensures your grinder will be ready to grind for espresso (as well as the rest of the range) right out of the box!"
I took them (Baratza) at their word. I feel I was mislead and will make sure my displeasure is known whenever and wherever possible.
Best Regards