What are alternatives ways to use my La Marzocco Linea Mini, if I dont have a proper grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
hodinkee_freeman

#1: Post by hodinkee_freeman »

Hi
I just got the LMLM in black friday deal. I used to use small delonghi coffee machine and blade grinder to make coffee. Now I realised that blade grinder doesn't work well for LM. But I am about to move to another country in 3months time, I dont really want to buy another big heavy machine to cause more moving trouble. So what can I do to get through this short period, in the meantime enjoy my LM.

Thanks

maxbmello

#2: Post by maxbmello »

Maybe buy a cheaper hand grinder for the interim? Should be fairly easy to move and I find is nice to always have as a backup or to use when traveling.

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

Hand Grinder -- do a search here. $200 and up. Orphan Espresso, Kinu etc but get one made for espresso. Here's a video showing many of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9OuRl1F3k Grinder is as important as machine.

MPantani

#4: Post by MPantani »

Buy a Niche? They're easy to move.

DiminishedSeventh

#5: Post by DiminishedSeventh replying to MPantani »

I would agree that the NZ would be a good choice and easy to move but deliveries for February 2021 are already sold out so there's no way OP would get it before moving.

I'd say a hand grinder is probably your best bet. Although you're gonna get a helluva workout grinding for espresso! Lol

d_leonit

#6: Post by d_leonit »

hodinkee_freeman wrote:Hi
I just got the LMLM in black friday deal. I used to use small delonghi coffee machine and blade grinder to make coffee. Now I realised that blade grinder doesn't work well for LM. But I am about to move to another country in 3months time, I dont really want to buy another big heavy machine to cause more moving trouble. So what can I do to get through this short period, in the meantime enjoy my LM.

Thanks
What about buying some cheap used grinder. Mazzer Jolly or something, and sell when you move? I didnt use hand grinder before, but i dont know if you would like it :) .
Or maybe Wilfa Uniform grinder, but dont know if would be enough for espresso.

Bluenoser

#7: Post by Bluenoser »

No question, buy a great hand grinder and save it for when power goes out.. or you travel. It will be something you have forever.. Although you can resell.. keep it for those decaf beans or when your regular grinder goes on the fritz.

Get a Kinu Phoenix or something similar.. Do NOT buy a cheap hand grinder with ceramic burrs .. get a brand and model that is designed to do espresso well.

Carl K

#8: Post by Carl K »

OE''s Pharos is a great hand grinder for espressos. I use mine everyday.

hodinkee_freeman (original poster)

#9: Post by hodinkee_freeman (original poster) »

Thank you guys. I have enjoyed my Comandante C40 with the Linea Mini. And I was looking for Niche zero until I found out it is impossible to buy it for now.