Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Porcupine (original poster)

#71: Post by Porcupine (original poster) »

jb-0101 wrote:Awesome review!! Thanks so much.

Can you give me any more info on what the Ditting guy said about 804 vs 807? Was it more around build type stuff; ie quality, workflow, retention, etc or was it about grind quality and results in the cup?
There was a few things:

The mechanism of the burr carriers and the adjustment which apparently have a significantly improved design and is much sturdier.

The design of the grinding chamber and chute to reduce retention.

There was the way air circulates and the added fans for cooling.

The placement of components have improved accessibily for maintenance and also the removal of the hopper

The dial has been improved for more precision during adjustment

Overall quality of the internal components have been significantly improved apparently, and the guy said they believe it will be even more durable than the 804

ethiopianbuffman

#72: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

oh man, seems like my next grinder is the 807 Lab Sweet from the 804 Lab Sweet :D

honestly I am totally happy with my 804LS and which I had gotten the 807LS, but i got a deal so it was worth the trade off, but I do think the 807LS is just stunning. I switch it was shorter and maybe a 3d printed hopper can solve that, but the rest of the grinder is awesome. Happy you have no regrets!

Acavia

#73: Post by Acavia »

Porcupine wrote:
The design of the grinding chamber and chute to reduce retention.
Curious. What is your 807 Sweet retention on average? I have a KR804 with Sweet burrs. I lose .3 to .2g, usually .3g since I mostly use Ethiopian coffee, per ~24g ground.

#74: Post by Porcupine (original poster) replying to Acavia »

I always get exactly what I put in there, 20 in 20 out... But I estimate that there is a ~0.5 "exchange" or cross contact based on what lives inside the grinder...

it really doesn't capture much, I cleaned it about 1 month ago and that's what the burr chamber looks like...

bangjampang

#75: Post by bangjampang »

This thread convinced me to pre-order one :D

Will be a while until it arrives (est September -October) as all stock is out here in my country according the official distributor here
Interestingly they said that the 807 are made in Hemro factory in Germany, not in Ditting factory in Swiss.
LMWDP #668

#76: Post by Porcupine (original poster) replying to bangjampang »

Yes I was told production was moved to a new factory in Germany

Mixpix

#77: Post by Mixpix »

mtbizzle wrote:I'm not sure what the issue is on your end, this is definitely not an issue I have. I'd say my lab sweet grinds fine enough that, if you showed me finer grinds, they'd look indistinguishable, it's powder, flour to the point where I'm not sure I could pick up on further degrees of fine. It won't even declump. image
Is this the finest setting from the 807 lab sweet? I have the grinder since few months and no way I can get close to grind so fine. Light roast are flowing in 15 seconds with 1:3 brew ratio, +1g overdosing the basket and pump running at 6bar. I did the zero setting and burrs are slightly touching at the 1 mark (scale start at 1)

Any idea?

jb-0101

#78: Post by jb-0101 »

Have you checked alignment? The more precisely aligned, the finer you can grind.

Mixpix

#79: Post by Mixpix »

Aligned today, situation improved but with light roast coffe roasted mid July it still flows quickly but the taste is good despite bridging all the standard rules.

Shot details are the following:
18g vst basket
19g in
53g out
Time 18"
Machine pressure 5.5bar
Flow rate at 260g per 30"
Extraction yields at 24.6%

Still fast following the first drop after 4 seconds but taste very good! I'll play with different fresher coffee

Acavia

#80: Post by Acavia »

Mixpix wrote:Aligned today,
What were your steps in aligning. Marker test?

I am thinking about trying on a KR804 with sweet burrs, next time I clean them.