Ditting 807 Lab Sweet user experience - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mtbizzle

#61: Post by mtbizzle »

Trying fast shots is not a bad idea at all, I would add you might want to try alignment, it probably only needs a little bit. may help grind finer. make sure your grinder is calibrated (zero is burr chirp), or else you're missing grind space.
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

maxmaut

#62: Post by maxmaut »

I wonder how the LS 807 would compare to the EK43 in terms of flavors in the cup for brewed coffe (both immersion and percolation). I am in the process of ordering the 807 LS, but am wondering if EK (even with new burrs) would yield a tastier cup. I know 'tastier' is subjective, but I am a straightforward man - I like fruityness and sweetness, and I dislike bitterness in my brewed coffee. I reckon the typical answer would be that pre-2015 EK burrs will be an end-all setup, but those are tough to find.

mtbizzle

#63: Post by mtbizzle »

coffee_Me wrote:As an average user, I would say it's not possible to pull Nordic style light roast espresso with this grinder..
I'm not sure what the issue is on your end, this is definitely not an issue I have. I'd say my lab sweet grinds fine enough that, if you showed me finer grinds, they'd look indistinguishable, it's powder, flour to the point where I'm not sure I could pick up on further degrees of fine. It won't even declump.

coffee_Me

#64: Post by coffee_Me »

1. Did zero calibration, brought 0.5 over 12 to the fine side on the scale.
2. Quick marker test on both burrs, not perfect. But I didn't have the right size screwdriver on hand to unscrew burrs, so the only way I could thought out was to add aluminum foil to the 3 positions below to improve the stationary burr a little bit.

This change dramatically affected the taste of pour over, surprisingly brought out noticeably bright acidity, slightly less sweetness, increased the complexity of the cup in a very nice way, which is very close to the detailed aroma/flavour/aftertaste description from roaster.

Espresso-wise, the pulling time was still within 20s for SOE under low pressure(3~6 bar roughly) , although it still tasted nice. (actually, it was tasty even when the espresso gashed out previously). The last pic shows the finest I could get, not sure whether it can tell anything.

mtbizzle

#65: Post by mtbizzle »

coffee_Me wrote:
I've learned that marker tests can depend heavily on the user and how they do the test, but yours certainly seems improved there! Glad it seems to have improved the flavor some.

Porcupine (original poster)

#66: Post by Porcupine (original poster) »

Ok ! After a lot of procrastination, I finally summoned the time to post my complete in-depth review on the blog.

https://thewearycup.com/blog/review-of- ... -lab-sweet

Enjoy !

jb-0101

#67: Post by jb-0101 »

Awesome review!! Thanks so much.

Can you give me any more info on what the Ditting guy said about 804 vs 807? Was it more around build type stuff; ie quality, workflow, retention, etc or was it about grind quality and results in the cup?

Ad-85

#68: Post by Ad-85 »

Porcupine wrote:Ok ! After a lot of procrastination, I finally summoned the time to post my complete in-depth review on the blog.

Enjoy !
I was hesitant because of the size but your review is very convincing. I agree about Swiss made stuff too. Thanks for sharing.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

txxt

#69: Post by txxt »

Porcupine wrote:Ok ! After a lot of procrastination, I finally summoned the time to post my complete in-depth review on the blog.

Enjoy !
I NEED to know where you got that WDT tool. It's just what I'd like! Please!

Ad-85

#70: Post by Ad-85 replying to txxt »

LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram