Weber Workshops Key Mk. ii Grinder & User Experience - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
retireddude

#91: Post by retireddude »

baldheadracing wrote:I couldn't tell the difference between 68mm to 83mm "traditional" conical burrsets that I've single-dosed at around 100rpm-120rpm. I'd guess that comparing those setups to a traditional big conic electric grinder would have the effect that you mention, as those run with a full hopper and speeds of 400rpm-500rpm - but I have never done a blinded comparison.

Note that I haven't tried the Kafatek MC with the pre-breaker nor the Shurikones.
Thanks for sharing your experience. One of these days, if I get the chance, I love to compare the Key with the Kafatek MC5/6

Pigeontree

#92: Post by Pigeontree »

Recently got some new beans that required a much finer grind than the beans I usually use, and when switching back to the regular beans and the setting that previously worked for them just one day prior, I found that the shot ran too fast.

Has anyone else experienced this, that when the grind setting is changed significantly, it kind of recalibrates itself? Being that it's been kept on more or less 1-3 clicks of the same grind setting for a while, maybe it's good for it to experience larger swings in grind size to aid in the seasoning/break in process?

Jessipoo

#93: Post by Jessipoo »

did you go much coarser, run the grinder empty, then go back to the original grind size?
There have been some odd things that sometimes I think some grinds get stuck in there, or maybe it was something else in your puck prep

Pigeontree

#94: Post by Pigeontree replying to Jessipoo »

I actually did try that! And now the original beans are grinding on just about the same setting as the new ones. It's been consistent now for a good amount of shots and has nothing to do with puck prep.

axpetts

#95: Post by axpetts »

Rabh wrote: Has anybody from the UK ordered a grinder from Weber? Am I pretty much guaranteed to get hit for 20% more by customs?
I live in the UK and I've order a Key, Eg-1 and various bits from Weber. Unfortunately I've been hit with 20% tax each time. The Inland Revenue are too efficient!

Jessipoo

#96: Post by Jessipoo »

so going coarser, grinding and then going back to finer worked?
or it just settled itself after a few grinds for some reason

Pigeontree

#97: Post by Pigeontree replying to Jessipoo »

Nope, now my beans just like to be ground 4-5 clicks finer. It's odd, but otherwise everything is working as it should. It may just be the burrs breaking in, I had it locked on one specific grind setting probably for over a week of several daily grinds.

Pigeontree

#98: Post by Pigeontree »

Found this quote online in regards to burr seasoning and now it all makes sense.

"be ready to make grind adjustments over the next few months as the burrs break in. You'll notice a need to grind a little finer as those edges break in. As long as you do that, you'll notice the coffee quality subtly improves with each cup you brew."

I am now needing to grind a solid 6-8 clicks finer than when the machine was new.

Pigeontree

#99: Post by Pigeontree »

Just wanted to sing some praise for this machine- I'm currently switching between 3 different beans on a daily basis and the grinder does not skip a beat!

My girlfriend has recently learned how to make her own espresso in the mornings, as she wakes up long before me, and initially she was going with a bare-minimum routine which did not involve RDT, and subsequently there was a fair bit of retention and mess from the static during this period. However, I've got her working the proper routine now which includes a solid spray or two from the included RDT bottle, and it is night and day! For the last two weeks we have been making an average of 4-5 shots of espresso a day, and I have not found ANY retention worth mentioning, I have not had to clean up grounds from around the grinder, on the counter or otherwise, it's insane.

We're currently switching between an older batch of beans that I pre-dosed into a bean cellar for her, the standard beans that I manually weigh on the day to day, and a bag of decaf beans that we typically make lattes from in the late afternoon/early evening. I couldn't imagine doing this with another grinder with anywhere near as much finesse. Mind you a different grind setting is required between each different bean type, and I do not do any sort of purging, it is very impressive how this grinder handles the switch.

As for the burrs settling in which I mentioned before- that is affirmatively the case, even after several new bags of the same bean, the grinder is sitting at a finer setting than it was initially by at least 5-10 adjustment levels, but it seems to have settled in happily where it's at now.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#100: Post by njtnjt »

Pigeontree wrote:Nope, now my beans just like to be ground 4-5 clicks finer. It's odd, but otherwise everything is working as it should. It may just be the burrs breaking in, I had it locked on one specific grind setting probably for over a week of several daily grinds.
Are you grinding everything at the same RPM?
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414