Weber Workshops Key Mk. ii Grinder & User Experience - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#81: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Pigeontree wrote:I personally navigate the tumbler in a way that it goes under/around the wiper, but there was a promotional video from Weber where they showed just sliding in the tumbler laterally and letting the wiper just bend over it- I wonder how the wiper would fair with consistent use of that method?
I drop the tumbler down onto the (first version's) wood base and then slide the tumbler out. The wiper bends a bit.

As for WDT, I find the tumbler a bit large to hold to do the swirl+settling technique after pulling the center part at the end like in this short video. However, I didn't find additional WDT was needed when I did the swirl+settling.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

farslan

#82: Post by farslan »

Pigeontree wrote:Congrats on the purchase, your set up is beautiful! What are those wood figurines you have? They are very cool, who is the artist?
Hi. Thank you. The wood figures are from Teenage Engineering. They are mechanical speakers, and forma choir. For more info checkout: https://teenage.engineering/products/choir

Pigeontree wrote:I personally navigate the tumbler in a way that it goes under/around the wiper, but there was a promotional video from Weber where they showed just sliding in the tumbler laterally and letting the wiper just bend over it- I wonder how the wiper would fair with consistent use of that method?
Coffee gets stuck to the wiper, so hence bumping into it creates always a mess unfortunately.

Simpleton

#83: Post by Simpleton »

While the original couldn't handle it, has anyone tried to grind 18g of light roasted beans at 30rpm in this? How long does it take? Thinking of upgrading to this from my Niche, but I'm curious how much longer it'll take to grind through a dose.

jwcinsd

#84: Post by jwcinsd »

@farslan, that's a very nice setup. I just read the thread as I'm looking to step up from my Niche with the Key or Kafetek MC6. I'm in no way casting aspersions or being argumentative as I have very few posts here and want to start off on the right foot, but why are folks mad that Weber is upgrading their product with a Mark2 and that they didn't have those features in the initial version versus just leaving it as is? Don't all companies release initial versions and make improvements based on the use of the previous version? Otherwise, we'd be driving the initial introductory Tesla Roadster while connecting our iPhone 1 with a 3.5mm cord to the stereo. Cars are not upgradable, nor iPhones, etc. After all, the MC6 is the 6th iteration.

Team HB

#85: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to jwcinsd »

I think that a lot of folks had expectations for the grinder that were perhaps a bit unrealistic.

The first version ended up being essentially an HG-1 with an integrated motor, and so the various issues that some people had experienced with the HG-1 also ended up happening to some people with the Key. I guess some thought that those issues would have been addressed in the Key; or maybe some were unaware that there were some issues; I don't know. I owned an HG-One back when the grinder was called HG-One and not HG-1 and both Douglas Weber and Craig Lyn were involved and the grinder was stepless; so I had a pretty good idea of the quirks and features, and the burrset's cup profile, and the types of coffees and brewing methods that I would grind on the Key and the types of coffees and brewing methods that I would use another grinder for, etc.

tn

#86: Post by tn »

baldheadracing wrote:I had a pretty good idea of the quirks and features, and the burrset's cup profile, and the types of coffees and brewing methods that I would grind on the Key and the types of coffees and brewing methods that I would use another grinder for, etc.
I would love to hear a brief summary of your ideas on these things (cup profile, types of coffees and brewing methods... for which the Key is well-, or ill-, suited).

Rabh

#87: Post by Rabh »

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Mk II is my ideal grinder... and I've got a Lagom P64. I just prefer the brews from my Helor 106.

Has anybody from the UK ordered a grinder from Weber? Am I pretty much guaranteed to get hit for 20% more by customs?

Team HB

#88: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

tn wrote:I would love to hear a brief summary of your ideas on these things (cup profile, types of coffees and brewing methods... for which the Key is well-, or ill-, suited!"
I use mine for medium and darker coffees roasted for espresso.

I am not saying that the Key is 'bad' for other roasts or prep methods; just that one burrset - any burrset - and/or one grinder - any grinder - is going to be a compromise. In today's market there is no need to make that compromise unless your budget is under $200 (and thus, the Encore ESP) - or there are other reasons like available counter space or aesthetics. For $2,000, I would get two or more grinders with appropriate burrsets.

retireddude

#89: Post by retireddude »

baldheadracing wrote:I use mine for medium and darker coffees roasted for espresso.
How's the body and texture in those medium and darker roasts from the Key? I've been very curious about the 83mm Mazzer burrs. Some users say they offer a lot more clarity than other conicals, possibly at the expense of some body. I'd love to try them someday.

Team HB

#90: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to retireddude »

I couldn't tell the difference between 68mm to 83mm "traditional" conical burrsets that I've single-dosed at around 100rpm-120rpm. I'd guess that comparing those setups to a traditional big conic electric grinder would have the effect that you mention, as those run with a full hopper and speeds of 400rpm-500rpm - but I have never done a blinded comparison.

Note that I haven't tried the Kafatek MC with the pre-breaker nor the Shurikones.