Weber Workshops Key Mk. ii Grinder & User Experience - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#31: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Above video now on YouTube for those not on Instagram. I feel sorry for people who paid $2k for the first version.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

exidrion

#32: Post by exidrion »

Wasn't the mk 1 only released a year or 2 ago? These improvements should have been there day one or at least retrofittable, but yeah it happens. I usually say you can't always expect to have the latest and greatest and never expect improvements but a lot of the stuff I'm seeing in mkII is a huge step up in quality of life.

DanielCroft

#33: Post by DanielCroft »

I think the worst part is that folks are still figuring out issues with their mark 1 Key grinders and Weber releases the mark 2. I see that their release cycle is pretty quick though, even with the EG-1 they update regularly.

As a Key mk1 owner, I'm not stoked but I think the big change is the 50% more torque that I'm most frustrated by. The Key tends to like to stall out and during the kickstarter they changed the motor so I suspect this was the motor it should have had or this is the solution we would have had given more time.

flyguyjake

#34: Post by flyguyjake »

Does Weber run sales such as for Black Friday or Christmas?

chipman

#35: Post by chipman »

The only sale they ever had was when they rolled out the original EG1 and the first version of the Key. They don't do seasonal sales promotions.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#36: Post by cannonfodder »

Interestingly the video shows the ring gear in the transmission on the MK2 is cut in the opposite direction of the MK1 but the shaft rotates in the same direction as the MK1. They must have reversed the direction of the motor or their animation is wrong. I believe there was talk of reversing the rotation of the burr at one point.

I got the Kickstarter discounted price version knowing it was a Gen 1 grinder and would have a quirk or two. Also knew there would eventually be a V2 released. I received a very late production version; it was well over a year (more like a year and a half) after production started. I have never had a motor stall, I rarely get a bean fragment that pops out, I do not really understand the need for a bean feeder and the added hopper capacity would only be of use if you were grinding for drip coffee. The only thing I would consider an upgrade would be the bottom bearing.

Unless your grinder is out of line, I doubt you would notice a difference in the espresso produced on the V1 or V2 since they still use the same burr set. It is a minor evolutionary upgrade, not a revolutionary upgrade. I would not spend the money to upgrade from my current version. However, if I did not have the first version, I would obviously get the second over a used first.
Dave Stephens

Ez3000

#37: Post by Ez3000 »

the original Key doesn't have "quirks" its an unacceptably flawed grinder for its price point. I learned to live with it (try to stay away from light roasts, leave it on higher RPMs, lift the ring to manually feed stuck beans into the burrs as the plastic feeder is a joke etc. etc. etc.) It makes nice espresso and certainly a step up taste wise from my Niche but I wouldn't buy it again. I would buy the MK. II though if I didn't already sink $2k into the original. Weber should resolve original issues. No reason they cant make a better bean feeder or a normal lid at the very least.

flyguyjake

#38: Post by flyguyjake »

cannonfodder wrote:The only thing I would consider an upgrade would be the bottom bearing.
Can you elaborate? Is the bean feeder now permanent?

axpetts

#39: Post by axpetts »

Anyone else had an issue with the anti-static plate? The black plastic/paper hoop on the outer burr has ripped during grinding presume it went into my puck. Not great.

Moderator note: Please note that discussion on the second version of the grinder has been moved to this thread.

Mad Scientist

#40: Post by Mad Scientist »

axpetts wrote:image

Anyone else had an issue with the anti-static plate? The black plastic/paper hoop on the outer burr has ripped during grinding presume it went into my puck. Not great.
I'm scratching my head over this. I've never seen a sticker on the burr before.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day