Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 99

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
maeitn

#981: Post by maeitn »

Can only comment re/ grind speed: Without bean feeder, 90 RPM was safe for me, 70 RPM stalled only once in >100 attempts, 50 quite occasionally.

With bean feeder and only one chute open, 70 RPM is not causing any issues, cannot comment on lower RPMs yet.

Beans used are definitely light, not moodtrap-light, but SEY/Tim Wendelboe Filter/banibeans etc. Hope that helps!
LMWDP #747 // Robot // Key

CamBam_HB

#982: Post by CamBam_HB »

Just wanted to share my recent experience in troubleshooting and resolving a stalling issue with my Key. Didn't see it come up in the search and figured it may help out someone else next time.

If you remove the back panel and look at the green LED - if if comes online when you turn on the unit and when you press the grind button and nothing happens - check if you see the green LED blink seven (7) times. This means there is a loose connection (the different cables that are running vertically, locked together by a clip in the middle) and you should make sure that each cable is tightly connected.
You may need to pull slightly and then push them together to make sure you hear it click.

Please note that discussion on the second version of the grinder has been split to Weber Workshops Key MK.II

rg60614

#983: Post by rg60614 »

Hi everyone,
I bought a used Weber Key grinder a couple of weeks ago and am having problems grinding for espresso. I currently have a Linea Mini and a Niche Zero grinder. I can't seem to dial in the grind for espresso with the KEy. When I grind at one setting, I choke the machine and when I make a small adjustment (making it coarser), I get a really fast "spraying" shot that sprays everywhere. I can't get anywhere in the middle. When I grind the same beans side by side on the Niche Zero, the shot is great. Do you know if something physical in the grinder could be causing this? I've taken the burr out and put it back after cleaning everything. I've tried two different (fresh beans) that I regularly buy and am familiar with and I'm getting the same behavior. Any help would be appreciated!

chipman

#984: Post by chipman »

How much was your "small adjustment"?

B2uatk

#985: Post by B2uatk »

Also try changing the speed..that helps in fine tuning a well.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#986: Post by yakster »

Speeding up the grinder should increase the fines for you if that's the issue but this doesn't make much sense to me. Make sure that the bolt holding the burr on is tight, you could check the burr alignment visually to make sure that it looks good and even look at changing the grind size (while the grinder is not running) and then checking the alignment to see that the gap between the burrs is increasing slightly. See the video below starting at around 2:40 for how to check the burr alignment.

Make sure that you're properly adjusting the grind size by lifting the ring slightly while the pins are still engaged and then moving it to the next hash mark. It's not a stepped grinder so you should be able to make very fine adjustments.

Please note that discussion on the second version of the grinder has been split to Weber Workshops Key Mk. ii Grinder & User Experience
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

GFride
Supporter ♡

#987: Post by GFride »

rg60614 wrote:Hi everyone,
I bought a used Weber Key grinder a couple of weeks ago and am having problems grinding for espresso. I currently have a Linea Mini and a Niche Zero grinder. I can't seem to dial in the grind for espresso with the KEy. When I grind at one setting, I choke the machine and when I make a small adjustment (making it coarser), I get a really fast "spraying" shot that sprays everywhere. I can't get anywhere in the middle. When I grind the same beans side by side on the Niche Zero, the shot is great. Do you know if something physical in the grinder could be causing this? I've taken the burr out and put it back after cleaning everything. I've tried two different (fresh beans) that I regularly buy and am familiar with and I'm getting the same behavior. Any help would be appreciated!
First, have you double checked the tightness of the Allen screw that holds the inner burr to the shaft? Merely guessing here, but if you are choking the machine you are very fine. Depending upon what you consider a small adjustment, you may still be too fine. If you are too fine you can potentially get a fast spraying shot if there is channeling from a weak puck due to too fine a grind. If your beans are too fresh it could also be a possible cause of channeling as the beans are still releasing gas. Finally, as your Key gets used more it will definitely get more consistent.
LMWDP #759

Jessipoo

#988: Post by Jessipoo »

I've had the KEY for a long time. I don't clean the burrs enough admittedly as I don't care for some grinds when changing bags.

I just cleaned out my burrs (probably a good year passed since taking them out to clean); when I re-installed I had to go coarser like an entire full rotation of the dial, and I had to re-dial in, waste coffee which was a bummer with multiple bad shots.

Is that normal? The screw did not seem loose when I unscrewed (to account for extra "burr gap").

I thought the burrs would go back in and be set at the exact same spot if all I do is drop the burrs to clean and re-install. Or was this some sort of odd edge case where maybe some grinds got stuck somewhere etc.?

adriel

#989: Post by adriel »

chipman wrote:You should really look at the PDF instruction manual. Zero point is where the burrs touch (can't turn anymore) then turn adjuster one and 3/4 turns coarser. That is your starting point for espresso.

https://weberworkshops.com/pages/key-instruction-manual
Unfortunately the new version of the manual no longer shows or tells you this.
My Key came with the grind set to "2" but the actual grinds were WAY too coarse, and seeing I had to go way past "0" to get a good grind, I realized I would have to zero it... which is no (longer) explained in the manual... which is a pity.

So, thank you to the Home-Barista crowd for explaining it here so patiently. :-)

Cgr86

#990: Post by Cgr86 »

Can users let me know how this does on dark roasts? I can't find any specific and I'm sort of torn between this and the mc6. The order process for the mc6 seems annoying and visually it's not as appealing to me if I'm being honest.