Weber Workshops EG-1 v2 User Experience - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Quester

#31: Post by Quester »

Laddu wrote:Any of you did a burr break in? If yes, how did you do it? In batches? How long for a batch before the motor gets hot?
I season with at least 20 lbs for larger flats--I get throw-away bags from a roaster I know. However, some people say that how much you need to season depends on the burr coating.

I don't remember my exact process with the EG-1, but I do remember I had the grind setting quite a bit coarser than espresso and did small batches one at a time--each batch under a half pound. I let the grinder rest in-between batches for a good 5-10 minutes. I don't remember it getting warm at all, let alone hot.

eltakeiteasy

#32: Post by eltakeiteasy »

one_good_coffee wrote:It doesn't feel right. My HG-1 came with a wiper, it wasn't installed and wasn't really a strong recommendation to install it. For good reasons, it felt odd and most people didn't install it indeed. That was really a piece of plastic junk, which was very weak and with strong angles everywhere (which is ironic considering the job it is trying to achieve), and basically didn't look finished at all. Like something that has been designed after everything, as a patch. Of course, it didn't do a good job either.

I don't know, to have something basically sliding over your burrs to « remove » ground coffee (which is not the easiest thing to remove from a surface in the first place) doesn't look like a good idea. Either it's too far from the burrs and then it will only do a half job (the HG-1 was like that, the wiper doesn't actually touch the burrs, at least in my early version), or it's too close and then the wiper(s) become something you have to change, or worse.

And to me, most wipers I've seen look just like that, some sort of a patch. Of course at the time, I thought « well I guess it can't be done differently », then you see all the other grinders and they don't have one and they look way cleaner without it. And you think « well it can definitely be done with no wiper, and without any issue », which just reinforces the feeling that it wasn't a good idea in the first place.
Having used just about every "Titan" grinder available today, wipers do make a difference if maintained correctly. It looks like Nick may have his burrs slightly out of alignment based on the picture that he posted.

Nick, have you tried to re-align the burrs quickly to see if that made a difference?
LMWDP #672.

networkcrasher

#33: Post by networkcrasher »

Anyone try Craig Lyn's shaker funnel yet? I received mine this week and it's quite nice. The inside is nicely polished, the plug is steeper, and the coffee falls off of it much easier. It fits into the EG1 perfectly, just like the LW shaker. I have relegated the LW shaker to my drawer now as Craig's 'redesign' is much more efficient. I got super tired of 'ringing the bell' every time I used the LW version.

nicholasnumbers (original poster)

#34: Post by nicholasnumbers (original poster) replying to networkcrasher »

Did Craig and Doug permanently split? I must have missed something.

Just went to his site and saw the redesign. Looks like it would be better, but still has the same fundamental problems as the original.

I can't stand the blind shaker that came with my EG-1. It's clumsy, messy, static-y, and the whole ringing annoys me. I much prefer my Acaia dosing cup now. I grind right into that, flip it over onto my portafilter, give it a good shake and I'm ready to roll.

Nick

nicholasnumbers (original poster)

#35: Post by nicholasnumbers (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy wrote:Having used just about every "Titan" grinder available today, wipers do make a difference if maintained correctly. It looks like Nick may have his burrs slightly out of alignment based on the picture that he posted.

Nick, have you tried to re-align the burrs quickly to see if that made a difference?
I have not. My burrs feel aligned to me, but when I change the wipers I'm going to remove the bottom burr carrier and try again. Someone posted on the EG-1 user forum on the WW site that has the exact same deterioration issue as mine. Same wear pattern and everything; so I hope to get it resolved soon.

I checked in on the wipers yesterday and the entire centers are blown out now. I just haven't made time to do the repair.

Nick

Chert

#36: Post by Chert »

TLDS; too lazy didn't search.

Can V2 users mount V1 ie screw burrs in the magnetic burr mount? And more to the point: If I as V1 user convert to magnetic mount, can I still use the two burr sets I have, if I so choose?
LMWDP #198

Quester

#37: Post by Quester replying to Chert »

My pins were too tight to ever get out--it was a one-way conversion. But, Douglas said that was not what he was aiming for. So newer pins might be machined a bit differently.

Laddu

#38: Post by Laddu »

Are paper shims needed for proper alignment? There are markings on the back of the burrs, but not sure why.

erik82

#39: Post by erik82 »

Not really. It's because the center hole on the CORE and V1 burrs is bigger than the burrs carrier where it fits on. It's just to keep those distances the same. If you have the SSP burrs also you'll notice the fit real snug and don't even need the shims.

Quester

#40: Post by Quester »

Quester wrote:My pins were too tight to ever get out--it was a one-way conversion. But, Douglas said that was not what he was aiming for. So newer pins might be machined a bit differently.
I've edited my original reply, but I had "conversation" instead of "conversion." There were no "one-way conversations" involved! I'm clarifying in case someone thought I was referring to a one-way conversation with Douglas. He has always been responsive and helpful.

Laddu wrote:Are paper shims needed for proper alignment? There are markings on the back of the burrs, but not sure why.
I used shims on my EG-1 v1 when I did the conversion to magnetic burrs. There was a bit of movement without them.