Weber Workshops EG-1 v2 User Experience - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

Adjusting a tiny bit to correct the shot time, is one thing, going from drip to espresso is quite another.

Ira

nicholasnumbers (original poster)

#12: Post by nicholasnumbers (original poster) »

I've been using the grinder for about a week now and noticed something today. Check out the wipers. They're already ripped and trapping coffee after about 2 uses a day for the past week. Any other users experiencing this? I didn't think I'd have to change them often. Curious as to what the wear pattern has been for other users.

Thanks,

Nick

Advertisement
chipman

#13: Post by chipman »

Mine usually last about 6 months. The one time they didn't was my fault for not being careful enough when I changed them. You did receive a entire sheet of replacements , correct?

Quester

#14: Post by Quester »

nicholasnumbers wrote:I've been using the grinder for about a week now and noticed something today. Check out the wipers. They're already ripped and trapping coffee after about 2 uses a day for the past week. Any other users experiencing this? I didn't think I'd have to change them often. Curious as to what the wear pattern has been for other users.
I don't have my EG-1 any more, so I can't share a photo, but I'm pretty sure mine never had that tear. They did bend and pull away slightly at the top, but that didn't create an issue. I replaced mine about every six months.

You might carefully replace the wipers and see if it was a fluke.

#15: Post by nicholasnumbers (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Mine usually last about 6 months. The one time they didn't was my fault for not being careful enough when I changed them. You did receive a entire sheet of replacements , correct?
Yep I have a sheet of replacements. Just wondering why they would be wearing like this so soon. I grind really fine and am pulling Slayer style shots; I'm wondering if the position of the static top burr is getting so close to the rotational burr that the wipers are compressing and failing at that junction.

Did you pull the bottom burr off to replace them or did you do it while the burrs were still aligned?

Nick

chipman

#16: Post by chipman »

I just pulled the old ones off cleaned and dried the metal surface and stuck a new set on. My guess is that yours were put on haphazardly when the grinder was being built. I would wager that the wipers you install will last a lot longer. Just make sure the metal surface is clean and dry when you change them.

Just to be clear I didn't touch the bottom burr set.

#17: Post by nicholasnumbers (original poster) replying to chipman »

Perfect. I'll replace them and see how it goes. Thanks so much for your help.

Nick

Advertisement
antonioriojas90

#18: Post by antonioriojas90 »

Hello, everyone.

I have a EG-1 Onyx with the DB-2 (low fines) burr set installed. I've been having issues with beans or pieces of beans getting stuck in the grinder, and it's driving me crazy. I emailed Doug and WW support three weeks ago (and sent a reminder one week ago), but there has been no answer.

So, I'm using lightly-roasted coffee at ~1000 rpms for a medium (pour-over) grind. I usually RDT (it helps with static, but it doesn't appear to be a meaningful variable for the issue at hand).

Every time I grind (say, 20 g), at the end of the grinding process, I can hear at least one bean or bean piece popcorning (~1 g) inside of the grinder. After a couple of seconds, the bouncing stops but no more coffee is ground. The bean is just trapped somewhere inside of the grinder. In the past, this didn't bother me that much because I could fix it by using a Rocket air blower or turning off and on the grinder.

However, this has stopped working. The only way to dislodge the bean is to: i) use more beans (problem persists with the last bean of the new batch and it's very wasteful); ii) play with the RPM until I hear the bean bouncing again (this does not work every time), and iii) play with the grind size (this usually works but it's terrible because it, well, messes up the grind distribution).

What could the issue be and how can I solve it? Any input would be appreciated, as this "new" workflow is beyond frustrating. Just to makes things worse, my Linea Mini stopped generating steam pressure, out of the blue, but that's another topic. Agh.

one_good_coffee

#19: Post by one_good_coffee »

nicholasnumbers wrote:Check out the wipers. They're already ripped and trapping coffee after about 2 uses a day for the past week.
Are they actually even needed? I don't like wipers.

Quester

#20: Post by Quester »

antonioriojas90 wrote:Every time I grind (say, 20 g), at the end of the grinding process, I can hear at least one bean or bean piece popcorning (~1 g) inside of the grinder. After a couple of seconds, the bouncing stops but no more coffee is ground. The bean is just trapped somewhere inside of the grinder. In the past, this didn't bother me that much because I could fix it by using a Rocket air blower or turning off and on the grinder.

However, this has stopped working. The only way to dislodge the bean is to: i) use more beans (problem persists with the last bean of the new batch and it's very wasteful); ii) play with the RPM until I hear the bean bouncing again (this does not work every time), and iii) play with the grind size (this usually works but it's terrible because it, well, messes up the grind distribution).
I ran into this issue every now and then will my EG-1. With a couple of beans, it was substantial enough I had to use another grinder for that particular coffee.

Douglas suggested I switch from the original burrs to DB1 Core. I converted my EG-1 so I could use the magnetic burrs. It was no better and no worse.

I now have a MAX. Out of about 40 beans since getting the MAX in April, I've run across two so far where the MAX has just a bit of trouble feeding, but it's less of an issue now. And with the MAX, it's easy to get the bean(s) out.

I think there are some combinations of flat burrs and beans that make this a bit more likely. Because I tend to explore a lot of different beans, it increases the odds of finding a problem combination.

With how many different coffees have you experienced this issue?