Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 91

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mad Scientist (original poster)

#901: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

I have 5 pounds of GUATEMALA FLOR DEL CAFE from Northbound coffee roasters I'm not loving as espresso.

It's a light roast. https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/G ... =140770827

Would I have any luck liking it better if it's brewed by immersion french press? I also have a V60 setup with paper filters. And, what grind setting should I start at? The Key is my only grinder.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

#902: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

What are you brewing with your Key? Experience?

Oh this is good! I'm going to give my espresso machine a rest. The French Press method for this coffee is fantastic.

The Key setting is two full rotations plus 4, estimated at 850 microns. Both bean feeder gates wide open and RPM at 70.
Londinium 1 (2014)

axpetts

#903: Post by axpetts »

Had an issue with a bean feeder i installed back in December. Part of the outer ring broke off during normal operation. I've ordered a replacement and it came today. After reading though this forum it seems that the feeder has had a redesign. Can anyone tell me whether the one I received is the new version?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#904: Post by yakster »

Mad Scientist wrote:What are you brewing with your Key? Experience?

Oh this is good! I'm going to give my espresso machine a rest. The French Press method for this coffee is fantastic.

The Key setting is two full rotations plus 4, estimated at 850 microns. Both bean feeder gates wide open and RPM at 70.
That lines up pretty well with what I was using for my Behmor coffee pot on the Key while I sent my Vario back for a steel burr Vario+ upgrade.

I don't have the bean feeder and I don't have any problems with popcorning on the slowest setting so I'm not inclined to try it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#905: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

axpetts wrote:Had an issue with a bean feeder i installed back in December. Part of the outer ring broke off during normal operation. I've ordered a replacement and it came today. After reading though this forum it seems that the feeder has had a redesign. Can anyone tell me whether the one I received is the new version?

Frankly I can't tell from a photo.They replaced my Gen I version with a Gen Ii back in February. Raymond told me they made a small change and haven't had one break yet. So, yours is a new one for sure.
Londinium 1 (2014)

axpetts

#906: Post by axpetts »

Must be a really subtle change. My original was shipped early December and I cannot see a difference between the one I received yesterday and the one I removed. Hence why I was asking whether I had received the updated version.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#907: Post by baldheadracing »

My bean feeder shipped from Salt Lake City mid-December and is, I believe, the new version.

You can see the original version in the installation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRhiB20Ihyc I can't see a difference at first glance. The only thing I noticed is the pieces seemed to come together much more easily in the video than I was able to do when I installed mine.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

wineman

#908: Post by wineman »

yakster wrote:It sounds like the bolt may have come loose at some point, check to see that it's tight.
@yakster which bolt ? Only ones I've touched were the 3 hex bolts holding the blades in place.

chipman

#909: Post by chipman »

The allen screw that holds the paperclip scraper and the inner burr on the bottom.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#910: Post by yakster replying to chipman »

That's the one. They come with a lock washer now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272