Weber Workshops Key Grinder - user experience - Page 82

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beancrusher

#811: Post by beancrusher »

I put some tape on the shaft where the paper clip is and then turn it off when the tape is just out of view. Paper clip always ends up in the same spot and tape isn't visible.

fineline

#812: Post by fineline »

That is a good idea, but you have to make sure there is no tape, turn it off, and tilt the tumbler to remove it.
Without paperclip, it can be put in and out horizontally in any direction without worrying about anything.It's a small thing, but this is very comfortable and stress-free.

Jessipoo

#813: Post by Jessipoo »

RPM

I have this light roast that I've been drinking for a while (it's probably like 2mths past roast date by now lol it's a big bag, oops)
And I was grinding at 90rpm for a while, today I decided to bring it down to 50, and the bar pressure increased! I found that interesting, I'm guessing the grind is more uniform and there are less fines causing this?

at 90rpm (several days in a row) it was around the 9 bar pressure during extraction
at 50rpm (1 day so far so tbd if there were other factors and tamping technique differences at play) it was at 9.5 bar pressure

Anyone else getting the same experience?
why do you think this is happening?

thanks!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#814: Post by yakster »

Weber Workshops announced on Instagram that they're opening a Hamburg location in Germany to help with logistics which should help with shipping times, rates, and duties for Europe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClBQjOhynfJ ... _copy_link
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

chipman

#815: Post by chipman »

delete

N714

#816: Post by N714 »

Jessipoo wrote:RPM

I have this light roast that I've been drinking for a while (it's probably like 2mths past roast date by now lol it's a big bag, oops)
And I was grinding at 90rpm for a while, today I decided to bring it down to 50, and the bar pressure increased! I found that interesting, I'm guessing the grind is more uniform and there are less fines causing this?

at 90rpm (several days in a row) it was around the 9 bar pressure during extraction
at 50rpm (1 day so far so tbd if there were other factors and tamping technique differences at play) it was at 9.5 bar pressure

Anyone else getting the same experience?
why do you think this is happening?

thanks!
Yes, I have noticed that grinder at lower RPM ->slows shot time and bring more clarity

I'm not sure what is happening exactly but I notice more bigger pieces after grinding with low RPM.

PMA!

#817: Post by PMA! »

Thought about making a new thread, but decided it was better in here.
I got the Key grinder of the startup, and was very eager to get my hands on it.

Right out of the gate I found something strange. I could not get reliable results from adjusting the grind settings. Most coffess were gushing out from heavy channeling. I sent an email to weber as soon as I could to address the issue, where i explained that my shots were tasting like uneven extractions, and that the spindle seemed to be out of balance. I agreed to measure the runout of the axle myself as I work in a machine shop, and to rund more coffee throught the burrs to make sure it was not a run-in issue. This correspondance started in March 2022.

Upon a closer review of the axle and burrs, I reported to Weber that there was a significatn "wobble" upon moving the shaft sideways.
I sent videos. In short I was told that some flexing of the shaft would not affect the coffee, and that my unit was tested with a 15 micron runout.

I responded with a question to if they actually reviewed the video I sent, where you can hear a distinct clicking sound as the shaft moves from side to side, and that I was unable to produce anything drinkable with the grinder on my GS3.
In short I was told that it was normal, and that I could get help from their baristas to better my technique.

A friend of mine got the Key grinder at bit later than me, so I did a comparison. His grinder has no wobble and grinds fine, even with fewer lbs of coffee ran throught it.

After a few weeks (redoing my kitchen), i open the gearbox of the grinder to see if I can find the error. I can feel the sideways shift all the way up through the shaft in the gearbox, but cannot find a root cause. The top bearing seems fine, so I suspect something in regards of the shaft itself and the lower bearing. I send weber an updated video where the issue has gotten worse, and that I want to send the grinder back for a refund.

I am offered a return of the grinder, but with a 15% restocking fee if they cannot replicate the issue when it arrives. I am frustrated with the idea that the video I sent is not clear enough, but feel I have no other way of moving forward. They issue me a return shipping label. As suspected, they tell me the grinder is fine and makes wonderfull espresso, and they will charge the restocking fee. At this point I am frustrated and tell them that I fint this very strange, and that I am still requesing a full refund. The answer is that even though they sent me the return shipping label by mistake, they will also deduct the shipping price. I could have easily sent the grinder for a fraction of what a DHL express shipping cost, and suggest that they give me the price for the grinder, minus the 15% fee and that we can be finished.

There have been many delays, I have sent them numerous reminders of my requests, and have pretty much felt not believed. The answers have not really delt with my direct questions and the tone has been a bit condescending. Today I got a the bad end of the deal with deduction of 15% and the shipping fee, described by weber as a "FULL REFUND" in the paypal message.

I am so disappointed. Firstly by the grinder, secondly by the "customer service". I leave it up to potential readers to jugde by themselves.

The video I sent Weber of my grinder:
There is no way a grinder in this shape can deliver uniform grinds without large chips of coffee (like I had, that resultet in massive channeling). According to Weber, this is well within their standards and specifications. Never mind micron adjustability they have advertised. What would you have done if you found such burr wobbling in say....a Mahlkonig E80? Good luck you all.

N714

#818: Post by N714 »

I had a very similar experience with Weber customer service. They need to work on this part of the company and fix it.

After using my grinder for a month, I have noticed there is a strange noise when it is working without beans. First I though it is the gears. But after cleaning I found out it is the burrs are touching at espresso setting! And the grinder is way off alignment.

Which cause burr coating to come off at the bottom of the burr

I contacted weber and they sent my an old video on how to align the HG grinder by hand to do the same. And told me it is normal this can happen during shipping. I fixed it my self and still not perfect, but this is all they offered.

It is a professional grinder with relatively high price I think it should be well tolerated to the smallest microns from factory not by hand with an A4 paper

EvanOz85

#819: Post by EvanOz85 »

Quick question for Key owners:

How long on average does it take to grind 18g-ish dose for espresso at max RPM? I know this changes based on roast level/coarseness, but just looking for a general idea.

Thanks!

JayBeck

#820: Post by JayBeck replying to EvanOz85 »

I'd have to test it but at max rpm maybe 10 seconds? I do 90 RPM usually and I takes around 20 or so.