Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 78

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Leander

#771: Post by Leander »

Got mine after waiting more than a year, really satisfied with the product.
The only issue I have is getting the coffee beans into the grinder. It gets really messy if you use a cup.
The product was designed just to be used with a tube container.

Hope in the near future there is some kind of funnel attachment.

Mad Scientist (original poster)

#772: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) replying to Leander »

There are a number of things to use besides tubes. I use a cut down plastic bottle as featured here and here
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

B2uatk

#773: Post by B2uatk »

There are a lot of things you can use to pour the beans into the grinder. I use a pair of shot glasses (square ones), I use them to weight the beans first and then pour the beans from the Cornor.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#774: Post by yakster »

I've been using an oblong coffee bean sample tray to spread out my beans on, weigh them, RDT them, and feed them into the Key. You can squeeze the plastic to make one end into a funnel and the tray accommodates batch sizes for espresso up to brew and I was using this when grinding 60 grams of coffee for my morning pot until I got my Vario back with the steel burrs installed. Another advantage of the tray is that you can spread out the beans for good RDT coverage and to spot any rocks or defects to pull out before grinding.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

archipelago

#775: Post by archipelago »

I'm at ~70 RPM all the time, for all roast levels - switching back and forth between a ~medium coffee for boomer style espresso to Nordic light for filter every day (I grind a bit finer than most for V60). Even if it "stalls" at this RPM with the lightest and densest coffees, if I leave it alone for about 10s it starts back up and finishes the job.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#776: Post by baldheadracing replying to archipelago »

I gots to know.

Generation Jones is asking, What is "boomer style espresso?"

(Generation Jones, a.k.a., the dumbest generation.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

AJ_Grey

#777: Post by AJ_Grey »

I have a comandante grinder and the glass storage containers for that work fine. The sell them in 4 packs for 20 bucks or so. I just weigh out a few but I've been doing this for a year now while I waited for my grinder to arrive.

Mad Scientist (original poster)

#778: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:I gots to know.

Generation Jones is asking, What is "boomer style espresso?"

(Generation Jones, a.k.a., the dumbest generation.)
Maybe that's a dig on us Baby Boomers. I am, and like my Medium-Dark roasts. I'm fixing to try some 1 pound bags of medium from Third Coast Coffee out of Austin.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

p4lxrich

#779: Post by p4lxrich »

So I see the black version is ready to ship and no longer preordered according to their ig. Was hoping the white is available too but I don't see it. Was there an issue with the white ones ?

GregoryJ

#780: Post by GregoryJ »

I think they can produce the "Snow" colored units fine, but they have always been a little behind shipping them compared to the "Onyx".

This is from their update on Dec 31, 2021:

Snow vs. Onyx
Many of you on social media (Instagram/Facebook) have probably started to see pictures of KEYs out in the wild. There's a reason you've only seen the ONYX ones so far - we have only shipped ONYX ones! The SNOW color is a little bit behind the ONYX schedule, entirely due to the painting line process ramp-up. Something I've always known from Apple days, black paint is easier than white. The high TiO2 loading (what makes white paint white and opaque) creates challenges with adhesion and color-matching to the other body parts. We created strict standards for our parts, so we have already rejected several hundred units worth of parts at the beginning until the quality is up to par.