Weber Workshops Key Grinder - user experience - Page 74

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
B2uatk
Supporter ♡

#731: Post by B2uatk »

Disk to control the feed of the coffee - seems that this one does not rotate and remains static other than a hole in one Cornor - would it create an issue that you have to manually feed the last few irrant beans?

Also what happens to the ring which is being held up by the rubber band - does that come down (clearly not out)? and would that make it hard to find such last few beans which somehow haven't made it into the new hole?

Arian-Yn

#732: Post by Arian-Yn »

They mentioned in the Instagram comments that funnel will sit above the feeder.
Also the inner part has a sweeping mechanism and you don't need to feed beans manually.

beancrusher

#733: Post by beancrusher »

Does the feeding mechanism end up feeding beans to the same section of the outer burr or do the beans end up riding on top of the burrs and getting more evenly distributed throughout the chamber?

Edit: pictures on the WW website shows the feeder with openings on opposite sides so beans can get fed in more evenly.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#734: Post by yakster »

Showing out of stock now.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#735: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, posted on Instagram:
... For the container shipped units that were US-bound, the we just received word of FDA approval and customs clearance at the forwarder facility in Salt Lake City. By the end of October, we expect all crowdfunded customers to have received their KEYS, and we should finally be carrying stock by November. ...
So shipping will end a year after units were supposed to start shipping. Seems typical for a crowdfunded product.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#736: Post by yakster »

Is that factoring in the global supply chain crisis or comparing to the before times?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#737: Post by baldheadracing replying to yakster »

The biggest concern in the crisis was shipping, but in the end I don't remember seeing any unusual delay caused by shipping, either individual or container.

How Weber scheduled individual vs. container production pretty much had to mean that early backers who elected for free shipping would wait the longest.

Once past initial teething, the production line seemed to run at the predicted production rate.

So, while the supply chain crisis must have had an effect, it wasn't as big as it would have been if, say, production was in the PRC.

- The Key, planned shipping Oct 2021, started shipping Dec 2021, actual end October 2022.

- The Arco grinder, which was more affected due to country of origin - planned June 2021 shipping, started shipping June 2022, actual end Oct 2022.

- The Fellow Ode shipped to all of its USA/Can backers faster - only about four months behind schedule - but the Ode was a marketing campaign, not a crowdfunded project in the traditional sense.

- However, the Fellow Stagg EKG did have some of the typical crowdfunded delays. It was planned to ship July 2017, actual end (container contents received by USA/Can backers) April 2018. A kettle is simpler than a grinder, though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

MNate

#738: Post by MNate »

baldheadracing wrote:How Weber scheduled individual vs. container production pretty much had to mean that early backers who elected for free shipping would wait the longest.
Sorry for derailing the user thread when I haven't gotten to use mine yet as I was one of those who elected for free shipping. I never thought it would take this long. The sheer number of grinders ordered is inconceivable to me - their goal was $20,000 but they kept extending the campaign until they brought in over $3million. So it was a long queue indeed when you get out to the back of the line. Should I have upgraded to air shipping? Sure, but then it didn't seem like as good a deal and I probably should have just canceled my order when I knew all the facts. Not worth saving $500 especially when it puts you in the first batch of a product that sees improvements before you even get it.

On the other hand inflation has made this price seem more reasonable over time. I'm sure I'll enjoy it- but using a Niche this year has actually been quite enjoyable too.

Frenchman

#739: Post by Frenchman »

baldheadracing wrote: How Weber scheduled individual vs. container production pretty much had to mean that early backers who elected for free shipping would wait the longest.
Yep. Still waiting for mine. I guess "the end of October" is near. I thought it was a bit much when Weber pushed $150 air shipping saying: "Really, this is what such a grinder deserves." Weber definitely live in their own world...
LMWDP #712

stephenmsis
Supporter ♡

#740: Post by stephenmsis »

baldheadracing wrote:The biggest concern in the crisis was shipping, but in the end I don't remember seeing any unusual delay caused by shipping, either individual or container.

How Weber scheduled individual vs. container production pretty much had to mean that early backers who elected for free shipping would wait the longest.

Once past initial teething, the production line seemed to run at the predicted production rate.

So, while the supply chain crisis must have had an effect, it wasn't as big as it would have been if, say, production was in the PRC.

- The Key, planned shipping Oct 2021, started shipping Dec 2021, actual end October 2022.

- The Arco grinder, which was more affected due to country of origin - planned June 2021 shipping, started shipping June 2022, actual end Oct 2022.

- The Fellow Ode shipped to all of its USA/Can backers faster - only about four months behind schedule - but the Ode was a marketing campaign, not a crowdfunded project in the traditional sense.

- However, the Fellow Stagg EKG did have some of the typical crowdfunded delays. It was planned to ship July 2017, actual end (container contents received by USA/Can backers) April 2018. A kettle is simpler than a grinder, though.
I run a medium sized business and can assure you that freight to and from Asia continues to be problem. The worst blockage is inbound to the USA, where sea freight has weeks of blockage. Air freight has become prohibitively expensive.