Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 73

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mad Scientist (original poster)

#721: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

yakster wrote:I don't really have too much trouble with popcorning, probably because I run it slowly, but this does look interesting. They've promised more details tomorrow. Here's a still capture of the Instagram video clip. It looks like it's spring loaded and probably opens when the grinder is running. It may make blowing and brushing out the burrs more complex.

This may be what they will be sending me. I'm in the first batch to get one.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

Arian-Yn

#722: Post by Arian-Yn »

Is it a free update for indigogo backers or something?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#723: Post by yakster »

When I need to grind more coffee when I'm making a pot, I found that using one of those blue oval coffee cupping sample trays works well to feed the coffee into the Key. You can squeeze it near one end to make it more of a funnel and feed the beans in while you grind. Spreading out the coffee on the sample tray before grinding makes it easy to check for any rocks or defects before grinding and also give the beans a RDT treatment if desired.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Mad Scientist (original poster)

#724: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

Arian-Yn wrote:Is it a free update for indigogo backers or something?
Let's wait till tomorrow, don't want to spill the beans.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

Arian-Yn

#725: Post by Arian-Yn »

I personally really interested in not using the antipopcorning lid anymore.
Interesting it sits under the funnel.

lastmile

#726: Post by lastmile »

How are people dialling in their shots for espresso when starting a new batch of beans? I've only run about 2kg through my Key so far and my shots can be a little inconsistent (all other variables the same).

I start dialling in new beans with a coarser espresso grind, say 1.4.0 on my Key. Then I go down one major mark at a time until the shot runs too slow, then go back up a few minor marks until I'm pulling 1:2 in about 30 seconds. My palate isn't experienced enough to go by taste and we're drinking cappuccinos and lattes rather than straight shots.

I've tried getting close by moving down one mark at a time from coarse to fine, then slowly going finer, but this tends to take longer and inconsistencies means what may have worked once isn't quite right again the next shot.

I understand I need to do closer to 5kg of beans before things really even out. I might need to get a few kilos of cheap supermarket beans to help speed up the process. At five or six 19 gram shots a day it'll take me a while to reach the 5kg mark.

Maniax

#727: Post by Maniax »

https://weberworkshops.com/products/key-bean-feeder
Time to buy one while it is in stock! Looks easy to install and an ingenious solution.

danetrainer

#728: Post by danetrainer »

Another poor situation, it's a year late and still no grinder (I ordered in the first couple of minutes of the campaign, Oct 2021 delivery date), this bean feeding mechanism to address stalling issues is 18 dollars...but its located in the Taipei warehouse and the only shipping offer is dhl for
$35!

fineline

#729: Post by fineline »

Tariffs aside, DHL's handling fees are notoriously high.

Hmmm, in exchange for a steady feed, cleaning is going to be a hassle.

Arian-Yn

#730: Post by Arian-Yn »

They really missed this opportunity too.
After the bad start they had they could have make this a free upgrade for igg backers.
Now you should pay 50$ for an 18$ peice