Weber Workshops Key Grinder - user experience - Page 71

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
kushkush

#701: Post by kushkush »

Hey everyone...I'm just curious if anyone has updates to their experiences brewing filter coffee with this grinder. Would love to hear updates!

beancrusher

#702: Post by beancrusher »

Lance Hedrick got a Wug and the same 83mm Mazzer conical burrs in the Key and should be making a YouTube video soon. He dropped a quick note in the espresso aficionados discord that was very positive about the Mazzer conical burrs for filter.

Jessipoo

#703: Post by Jessipoo »

Do WW key grinder owners, purge when changing between grind settings?

I went from 0.2 (1 line after 0, I defined the increments between lines as 0.2) to -> 2.8
finer to coarser, both espresso
since I had changed my bean from a medium light to a more medium roast

the grind looked way too coarse by appearance given it wasn't supposed to be that significant change, it almost looked pour over coarseness and the first brew with this new bean was a bit odd, tastes pretty okay though

now that I think of it, I've noticed when changing settings that's beyond 1-2 lines (no purge), that the first 1-2 brews will be odd because I'm trying to adjust based on that but realize it's not realistic of when things settle in.

I'm assuming some coffee is stuck, between the burrs but I thought going coarser wouldn't cause that problem/result

Are others having the same results?

Epicurus

#704: Post by Epicurus »

Yeah, I find there's a little retention after every grind. If I change grind settings (usually going finer) and I turn on the grinder, there's a bit more coffee that comes out from the burrs.

In addition, I've gotten into the habit of starting one increment finer for my first grind of the morning. This (I'm assuming) is because the little bit of retention from the day before gets added to the first shot and tends to run quicker than my second shot.

Mad Scientist (original poster)

#705: Post by Mad Scientist (original poster) »

Jessipoo wrote:Do WW key grinder owners, purge when changing between grind settings?

I went from 0.2 (1 line after 0, I defined the increments between lines as 0.2) to -> 2.8
finer to coarser, both espresso
since I had changed my bean from a medium light to a more medium roast

the grind looked way too coarse by appearance given it wasn't supposed to be that significant change, it almost looked pour over coarseness and the first brew with this new bean was a bit odd, tastes pretty okay though

now that I think of it, I've noticed when changing settings that's beyond 1-2 lines (no purge), that the first 1-2 brews will be odd because I'm trying to adjust based on that but realize it's not realistic of when things settle in.

I'm assuming some coffee is stuck, between the burrs but I thought going coarser wouldn't cause that problem/result

Are others having the same results?
I may be of little help, but just in troubleshooting mode here.

I switch between a different coffee every #5 bag. Every morning I brush inside the chamber with the supplied brush and use a hand bulb blower. I then turn on the grinder and sometimes I hear and see enough retention that falls out that makes a difference to me, and also I wipe the bottom of the burrs with a cotton round.

My retention might be from heavy RDT where chips might highjack on top of the stationary and rotating burrs. The brush sweeping them off the next day.

I think the purging I read about is with owners of "closed bottom chamber" grinders. Virtually all of them except ours. We have the pleasure of an open system.

I wouldn't think a purge is necessary. I would brush the bottom of burrs any coffee sticking of static "dry" (no RDT) or "wet" when switching coffee. I get an idea of what's going on by using a flashlight and (mirror for the bottom).
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day

Jessipoo

#706: Post by Jessipoo » replying to Mad Scientist »

I don't RDT but ya I just gave it a good brush without removing the burrs so that should help. I guess I just assumed it was zero or near zero retention and I shouldn't *have to* but I think any grinder, even the best you'll have to do that for the best results.

I guess whenever I make any significant change that's not only 1-3 little notches that I should be doing that for the best results?

Dbcooper

#707: Post by Dbcooper »

Just got my Weber Key 11 months after placing my order. I previously had a Eureka Atom 75 (bright, but lacks some body) and a Niche Zero (great body but lacking in brightness.) I was hoping the Weber Key would be right in the middle of those two and so far it seems to be hitting the mark. I might need to keep my Sette 270 as a decaf Americano grinder.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#708: Post by MNate »

Dbcooper wrote:Just got my Weber Key 11 months after placing my order.
Does this mean you waited for the slow boat shipping? I thought I'd be the only one on here silly enough to do that. Had I known about all this I doubt I would have done it. But soon all that will be forgotten!

p4lxrich

#709: Post by p4lxrich »

Anyone know when we can preorder the white ? I only see preorder in black. Is there even any grinder for that matter that we can order ? Lol.

Dbcooper

#710: Post by Dbcooper »

No, I ordered mine in October so I was forced to pay for air freight. I just think my order number was quite high given that I ordered mine later than most.