Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 70

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
beancrusher

#691: Post by beancrusher »

That's really helpful, thanks!

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#692: Post by Bill33525 »

Ahmad H. wrote:How do you guys calibrate the grinder?
The annoying problem I found is that the grind adjustment ring can be taken out and rotated without actually adjusting the grind setting, that can happen by accident. When it does it hard to figure out the precious position.

How do you guys deal with that?
With the burrs set to the zero point using a magic marker I put a dot on the adjustment ring and the burr carrier. With the dots applied the ring can be lifited off the burr carrier and reapplied in the correct orientation. Furthermore with the dots visable the burr carrier can be rotated with the adj ring off. Finally with the dots showing the grinder can be adjusted more like a Niche. Trying to remember numbers on the adj ring was too much for me.
Hope this helps.

Advertisement
beancrusher

#693: Post by beancrusher »

With the grinder off I rotate the burrs until they are locked (can't rotate finer anymore) and then picked up the adjustment ring until the dial indicator value was closest to zero. In my case the number ends up being two ticks off of zero. Espresso is about a full rotation away from the zeroed value so it's easy enough to remember that the ring value should be the smallest possible option if you ever pick it up by accident (in my case it's usually between 13 and 1), but tbh I don't think you'll end up unseating the ring once you get used to the grinder.

Arian-Yn

#694: Post by Arian-Yn »

Had My Key for about two months now and extremely satisfied with my experience.
I use magic thumbler without paper clip wire.
So my workflow is
Dose beans>grinde>transfer grinds from thumbler to portafilter>wdt>tamp>add puck screen > pull
Grinds are not uniform and you can see that visually but The coffee is tasty almost all the times. It has good texture-clarity balance which I really appreciate.
As for rpm I use 90 since 30 is super slow and also shots at 30 rpm are a bit dull for my taste.
For cleaning I coarsen the grinder 6 rotations from lock and use the brush easy and works good enough.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#695: Post by baldheadracing replying to Arian-Yn »

Everything you do is identical to what I do, except that my (espresso) grinds look uniform, and I haven't cleaned my burrs with the brush - I use a handheld vacuum cleaner.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Arian-Yn

#696: Post by Arian-Yn »

Where do you generally grinde?
I'm around 1.1.5-1.3.5 for espresso

baldheadracing
Team HB

#697: Post by baldheadracing replying to Arian-Yn »

Sounds similar. My 'zero' is at 14.2 ('zero' being where I can't easily turn the adjuster finer with the machine off). Grind setting depends on dose and basket and coffee/roast and machine, etc., but, for example, I'm currently at 1.2.6 for a 7.5g dose on the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Arian-Yn

#698: Post by Arian-Yn replying to baldheadracing »

Yes you are right I forgot to mention my setup.
I use flair 58's high flow basket with 18 g dose most of the times.
It's definitely magical

beancrusher

#699: Post by beancrusher »

I pull 15g shots from 2-2.5 using anywhere from 10 to 14 major clicks, so about 2/3-1 rotations from zero. I use the LRv2 profile on the decent which has some preinfusion with a gentle pressure decline. The with general shot times run from 30-50 seconds with pre-infusion cutting off at 4g or 10 seconds.

Arian-Yn

#700: Post by Arian-Yn »

Makes sense since you are using lower dose you'll need to grinde finer.
I really want to see a comparison between Key and MC4 especially now that Denis announced he's making his own burrs.
Maybe it will be a good idea for Weber to do the same since they had problems with Mazzer burrs' tolerance.