Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 66

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chipman

#651: Post by chipman »

If it never turned on, I would try using a different wall outlet, making sure the cable is completely plugged into the grinder.

Anndreww

#652: Post by Anndreww »

That didn't work when I tried earlier. I'll try to take the wiper out and try again. Also where can I find the video so I can make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks

chipman

#653: Post by chipman »

The link should be on the written instructions that came with the grinder. I'll send it to you in a little while

chipman

#654: Post by chipman »

Anndreww

#655: Post by Anndreww »

I don't see a link on the manual. Am I overlooking it?

chipman

#656: Post by chipman »

On the first line under the heading.

Click on "here"

If for some reason you can't get your grinder squared away, contact WW via email. They are quite prompt in replying.

stump007

#657: Post by stump007 »

Am I the only one getting "retention" in the magic tumbler, esp. when RDT? Didn't happen with the same beans few weeks ago but now I have some grounds that stick on the tumbler's wall (much less so if I don't RDT). Wondering if it's due to the hotter/humid weather.

LindoPhotography

#658: Post by LindoPhotography replying to stump007 »

I use the magic tumbler but use it without the wiper arm or WDT tool, and I never do RDT (not a fan, based on the few times I tried).
With most light roasts it doesn't seem to stick to the tumblers walls, you may notice at higher RPM it shoots out more side ways and with low RPM it falls more towards the center too, I think higher RPM also generates a bit more static that helps keep the coffee stuck to the walls occasionally but usually it will all tumbled down as soon as you pull the plug thing and rotate or vibrate the tumbler a tiny bit. I did have some coffees that seemed a bit more annoying / sticky and stuck more persistently to the wall. One was a high end robusta (which was actually pretty tasty) and the other a half-decaf blend. I don't think either were really that dark roasted, they were more like medium roasts, but I think the Robusta seemed like it had more natural oils in it that made it sticky.

If you're getting it less with RDT and there's already high humidity why bother with RDT in the first place, might as well skip it until it gets dry / non humid again.

LindoPhotography

#659: Post by LindoPhotography »

Really? most people say the Niche is pretty poor at coarser brew methods, I've done a couple comparisons with side by side Aeropresses my Weber key, Monolith Flat with Shuriken LM burrs, and Lagom P64 with SSP unimodal multipurpose burrs, and found the Key did really well. It's very flat burr like for a conical burr grinder, but maybe some aren't as great (alignment issues?) or just not seasoned yet, despite the pre-seasoned burrs a lot of people do notice an improvement after putting some coffee through the Key and HG-2.
I mostly use the Key for espresso though, ill re-do the test later again, maybe vs the DF64 with SSP cast burrs I also have now.

I've had a lot of grinders and I think I can tell from espresso if a grinder has a lot of fines or not, although some grinders may act differently at a coarser grind setting than at espresso range theoretically.
N714 wrote:Hello,,
I have tried the niche,MC4, and the key.Personally I think Mazzer burrs are made only for espresso. It can grind course but it has high amount of fines, muddy cups and bitter. If I were you I would keep the encore.

Jessipoo

#660: Post by Jessipoo »

stump007 wrote:Am I the only one getting "retention" in the magic tumbler, esp. when RDT? Didn't happen with the same beans few weeks ago but now I have some grounds that stick on the tumbler's wall (much less so if I don't RDT). Wondering if it's due to the hotter/humid weather.
More humidity would do the opposite and cause less static. Did you change your beans? I found darker roasts stuck a lot and made a mess if I would invetibly knock the wiper by accident when removing the magic tumbler but that was only 1 bag all my other bags have been pretty good, but also, with warmer weather = more humidity = less static