Weber Workshops Key Grinder - user experience - Page 63

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
naz1511

#621: Post by naz1511 »

Perhaps its the way you load the beans into the grinder?

I have a huge variance of how the shot looks like depending on whether I dump the whole beans or pace the offload bit by bit. Not too fast and not too slow of a loading seems to be the right approach for me.

Also if you have some kind of a sifter(WPM ones, like Sprometheus uses) would greatly improve the shot consistency but then lengthens shot prep time.

jonasbr

#622: Post by jonasbr »

I know this must have been asked before, but the search functionality is failing me.

So my mom came to visit, and I showed her how to use the Key as she goes through some 7 cups a day with a mix of Aeropress and espresso (she makes the former, I make the latter) and I was busy working from home. Now despite telling her not to, she moved the grind coarseness dial while running the grinder. This stopped the grinder completely, as it got jammed. I cleared the jam today by unscrewing the burrs and cleaning it all out. I then reassembled it, and turned the dial coarser to turn it on again to see if everything was fine. The light turns on, but the grinder does not work. No lagging, stuttering or sounds of any sort. Does anyone know what to do to fix this?

DaMaDo

#623: Post by DaMaDo »

Did you check the fuse?

Jshot

#624: Post by Jshot »

Wait, a visiting mom was using the grinder. Isn't there a warning about that in the manual?

jonasbr

#625: Post by jonasbr »

Haha, trust me that if I hadn't been out with Covid and working at the same time I'd be making every single one of those to make sure nothing went wrong. She also happened to go through all my good beans before I could blink, so it was quite the visit. Did get to spend some time blind tasting light against dark roast later, and comparing the conical from the Key to the 64 mm flat burrs in my Mazzer Super Jolly. She drinks more coffee in a week than I do in a month, and I think she'd be converted to get a Decent if it wasn't for the time commitment.

Thank you for the tip! I will check the fuse right away. My DE1Pro also had some issues this morning, but that only required a power cycle (thank you Diaspora). Here's to hoping it's a quick fix!

stump007

#626: Post by stump007 »

At last, received my Key, snow (order number 14XX). Haven't tried it yet, but it feels very well built, and at least cosmetically, it is immaculate. :D

The tamping mat (HB promotion), now that I see it, it wasn't worth the hassle of replacing an order... but somehow I got two instead of one

Now, off to find 2Kg of beans for seasoning :arrow:

flyguyjake

#627: Post by flyguyjake »

Did Weber change the metal wiper to plastic?

chipman

#628: Post by chipman »

Stumpman. No need to season the grinder. Just use it with the magic tumbler. I had great shots right out of the box.

chipman

#629: Post by chipman »

jonasbr wrote:I know this must have been asked before, but the search functionality is failing me.

So my mom came to visit, and I showed her how to use the Key as she goes through some 7 cups a day with a mix of Aeropress and espresso (she makes the former, I make the latter) and I was busy working from home. Now despite telling her not to, she moved the grind coarseness dial while running the grinder. This stopped the grinder completely, as it got jammed. I cleared the jam today by unscrewing the burrs and cleaning it all out. I then reassembled it, and turned the dial coarser to turn it on again to see if everything was fine. The light turns on, but the grinder does not work. No lagging, stuttering or sounds of any sort. Does anyone know what to do to fix this?
Have you contacted WW? When I first got my grinder, I messed up just as your "ex" mother did. They were very responsive.

beanboy

#630: Post by beanboy »

Have you tried toggling the rear power switch? There's an overheat prevention mechanism that makes the grinder behave as described once it's triggered