Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 55

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bean Counter

#541: Post by Bean Counter »

I'm starting to see much more consistency after around 250g, nothing wild or way out.... and no, I don't work for Weber Workshops, or get anything in return for giving positive comments. I just happen to enjoy a lot of the equipment they make and appreciate the quality of each item I've bought.

FaantastiK

#542: Post by FaantastiK »

DaMaDo wrote:Workflow is simpler this way (plus less to clean) and I was doing WDT anyway even with the magic tumbler.
I'm having the same experience on my end. If I have to WDT every time either way, why not grind directly into the PF and give myself an easier workflow?

Before I pull the trigger on the standard funnel, I've been casually searching for a stand that looks good on the onyx Key.

HB
Admin

#543: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

DaMaDo

#544: Post by DaMaDo »

For quick daily brushing, I find the same mirror I use for shots helps ensure I wipe everything off the bottom. Any shot mirror should work.

I got the idea to make one on the kafatek forums.

Just used a $15 car cell phone holder (you get 2) with a $11 plastic mirror (you get 40).

For mine, I also 3D printed ring/backplate for the mirror, but you can just stick the mirror directly to the phone holder.

Also adding a side view on the decent. The built-in mirror on the decent doesn't work that well for me, unless I'm just cleaning the group head.

Jessipoo

#545: Post by Jessipoo »

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, I've had the KEY for a few months now, and whether a bag is 7-10 days past roast or even 3 weeks past roast (and then freshly opened), I find that as time goes on (I finish the bag within 1 month at most) - I don't think once I grind finer as the beans age which is kind of insane. Is anyone else getting this? Once I thought I had to grind finer, but the moment I did the pressure was too high and the previous shot I had pulled as probably just a puck that wasn't well prepared.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#546: Post by yakster replying to Jessipoo »

I've heard that this is more common with conical vs. flat burrs.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jessipoo

#547: Post by Jessipoo replying to yakster »

interesting, I didn't have this experience with my Sette 270, I had to constantly grind finer with time as the beans aged

chipman

#548: Post by chipman »

I've had the same experience with my key.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#549: Post by yakster »

What speeds are you using? I wonder if it has anything to do with grinding at lower speeds.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#550: Post by baldheadracing »

Jessipoo wrote:interesting, I didn't have this experience with my Sette 270, I had to constantly grind finer with time as the beans aged
In my experience, the larger the burr, the more this behaviour is typical. I expect it on 68mm+ conicals - but I've never ground at less than about 100rpm and that may make a difference.

Roast development (for lack of a better term) also seems to be a factor. With something like Saka bar blends I can use the same setting for the entire kilo, even with the Lido2 and Fixie (47mm nominal Italmill and Etzinger burrs, respectively).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada