Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 51

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jessipoo

#501: Post by Jessipoo »

DaMaDo wrote:This

I emailed Weber and they said it was normal. I added more grease to the bevel gears and it made it better.
what type of grease and where? the front piece that's curved that comes off easily is very greased in my case I don't feel greasing it more will do anything
do you find adding that grease made your KEY grind better at low rpm? I'm wondering if that would help a little with stalling with light roasts at lower rpm

DaMaDo

#502: Post by DaMaDo replying to Jessipoo »

I just used some bicycle grease I had already and wiped it into the grooves of the lower bevel gear. I ran at low rpm to distribute then high, then wiped off some that got flung off.

The main benefit was at high rpm since I didn't hear much at low rpm to begin with. It didn't completely remove the noise, but the harshest portion of it that just felt wrong to hear is gone.

A Lucas Oil Red N Tacky #2 grease would be good

beanboy

#503: Post by beanboy »

Thanks for the pointers. I feel like the noise of mine has gotten a lot worse since using high RPM daily

DaMaDo

#504: Post by DaMaDo »

You may also want to check if there's any particles in the gears. Like metal shavings or anything really. Soft particles can cause noise, but hard particles can also wear the gears down.

Maybe some got dirty at the factory and they forgot to clean them. Grease is great at collecting and holding particles and you don't want that in there.

There could also be gear alignment issues, but I forget how likely that is with how they are held in there - like does it allow adjustment or is it something locked in with the design. If it is adjustable by the user, that may be another way to lower the noise, but depending on how they are held, it may not be simple.
But excessive backlash or play, if great enough, can cause a sudden impulse or shock load in starting or reversing that may cause serious tooth damage. Excessive or insufficient backlash can also result in noise, excessive wear and damage. Backlash can be changed by changing the position of one or both gears
Above from this link.

Jessipoo

#505: Post by Jessipoo »

DaMaDo wrote:You may also want to check if there's any particles in the gears. Like metal shavings or anything really. Soft particles can cause noise, but hard particles can also wear the gears down.

Maybe some got dirty at the factory and they forgot to clean them. Grease is great at collecting and holding particles and you don't want that in there.

There could also be gear alignment issues, but I forget how likely that is with how they are held in there - like does it allow adjustment or is it something locked in with the design. If it is adjustable by the user, that may be another way to lower the noise, but depending on how they are held, it may not be simple.

Above from this link.
is this all on the front rounded part where you get the exposed gears above the shaft?

DaMaDo

#506: Post by DaMaDo »

Yes,

The driver gear (pinion) is on the motor shaft and it doesn't look like it can be adjusted without removing the motor, but that allen set screw may allow vertical movement of the driven gear on the burr shaft.

Maybe someone can experiment with that setting.

For the rest of us, probably just make sure it's free of particulates and is well-greased.

The image below is how mine looked the day I received it.

★ Helpful

Jessipoo

#507: Post by Jessipoo »

I wonder when we'll start to see third party accessories for the KEY

cannonfodder
Team HB

#508: Post by cannonfodder »

That actually reminds me of the transmission gearing in a KitchenAid stand mixer. I pulled my mixer apart a year ago to clean and repack the transmission and planetary gear.

Given this is on a food service item, you may want to avoid most lubricants and use a food-grade grease, like what I used on my KitchenAid mixer. You can get food-grade grease from any restaurant supply shop or online. Just google 'KitchenAid mixer grease'. It has a high viscosity and is made to stick to gearing in the mixer housing.

https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Grease-Kit ... B0722VGTHJ
Dave Stephens

yakster
Supporter ♡

#509: Post by yakster »

Jessipoo wrote:I wonder when we'll start to see third party accessories for the KEY
John from Decent Espresso posted about using the Decent portafilter stand and funnel to direct dose into the portafilter on the Weber Workshops forum here: https://weberworkshops.com/pages/forum? ... r-12336802
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jessipoo

#510: Post by Jessipoo replying to yakster »

I saw that though it wasn't really revolutionary, it's just products that exist already stuck with double sided tape (not even magnets).

The dust has settled with the KEY, I wonder if the negative voices have been erased now that more people have the KEY in their hands and the reviews overall seem good? Seeing that a lot of the big coffee players have their hands on one too, though that doesn't mean anything since they probably try a lot of grinders that have hype around them. You often see the Niche on their bars though (and it stays there) - wonder if we'll see that with the KEY with time