Weber Workshops Key Mk. i Grinder - user experience - Page 35

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
stephenmsis

#341: Post by stephenmsis »

Jessipoo wrote:Did/does anyone have a thumping type of sound coming from the back casing? As you increase the rpm the speed of the thumping increases too
no idea how to open up the back to check, removed the 2 Allen bolts but it doesn't just pop up, must have other screws underneath
Are your sure it's not a loose magnet? I had one drop out and the WTD tab made a thumping noise as it hit the magnet. Tiny spot of superglue and all sorted.

danzimm

#342: Post by danzimm »

Mad Scientist wrote:video

video

As promised from my OP, this is my work flow and the subsequent shot.
Here's mine:
Anyone else mind sharing their workflow? Would love to steal tricks/techniques other folks use that are Key specific :)

Advertisement
Legend_217

#343: Post by Legend_217 »

I think standard tumbler will suit your workflow more. The whole purpose of magic tumbler is to eliminate wdt which isn't the case here

Jessipoo

#344: Post by Jessipoo »

stephenmsis wrote:Are your sure it's not a loose magnet? I had one drop out and the WTD tab made a thumping noise as it hit the magnet. Tiny spot of superglue and all sorted.
nope, I tested without the burrs and magic tumbler even, I opened up the front little curved part too, nothing abnormal there, I put my ear to the back and it's definitely there. I already sent a message to WW and waiting for a reply

beanboy

#345: Post by beanboy »

I have definitely noticed the "thumping" at high RPMs, but it seems to occur inconsistently.

After showing WW a couple videos of my grinder misbehaving, they sent me some diagnostic instructions which involved opening up the rear-I don't want to give too much detail due to risk of shock etc, I'm sure they'll publicize them if they need to. While they didn't reveal any issues with my Key's circuitry, it hasn't stalled once since I performed them three days ago. Fingers crossed that the gremlin has vacated.

I'm still in the very early stages of my espresso journey, but I seem to need a relatively fine grind to get good timings. Somewhere around 13 major ticks from zero.

Jessipoo

#346: Post by Jessipoo replying to beanboy »

so the thumping isn't happening as much anymore because you fixed something by opening it up?
I am also at 1 full rotation + 1 major tick + 2 minor ticks for espresso pretty much

beanboy

#347: Post by beanboy »

Sorry, I should have phrased this differently. I'm not sure that the thumping is related to the motor issues I've had. It would surprise me because it sounds more like a mechanical issue than an electronic one (but I'm not a hardware engineer. so who knows)

Advertisement
DaMaDo

#348: Post by DaMaDo »

Anyone else have this piece offset? Maybe it's just from adjustment from the factory? Still wearing in, lots of channeling still.

Neil480

#349: Post by Neil480 »

I have been using the standard funnel (and wiper) to dose into the magic tumbler. It seems to be the cleanest workflow for me. I didn't give the magic tumbler much of a chance, but wasn't super impressed with the paperclip eliminating the need for more puck prep. After the burrs get seasoned I'll give it another go. I've also tried the Decent bottomless portafilter stand and a funnel to dose directly into the portafilter. It works well, but you have to go at slow RPMs to avoid the grounds from spraying everywhere, even with a funnel.

2 years with my Niche and never once needed to RDT. My biggest concern (and it's a minor one) is the amount of static I'm getting with this grinder. Hopefully it will improve over time.
GregoryJ wrote:Did anyone get both the magic tumbler and the standard funnel? Which one do you prefer using?

BruceWayne

#350: Post by BruceWayne »

Those are the alignment bolts. They have the ability to move slightly so that the outer burr can be aligned with the inner burr when loosened. They lock the alignment in place when tightened.