Weber Workshop HG-2 teaser - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bean Counter

#81: Post by Bean Counter »

Copied and pasted from the Key thread:

Greetings all,

Just joined recently and been folllowing a couple of threads. Recently purchased an HG-2 which utilises most of the what is going to be on the Key from my understanding. Same burrs, same Magic Tumbler, WDT, wiper etc albeit one is motorised vs hand ground with a the fly wheel etc, so for what it's worth I can give a few comments on what I understand to be overlapping areas/common parts:

Straight out of the box, you can see it's very well put together and well finished, pretty much flawless. I don't expect anything to be perfect as there is no such thing as perfection on this planet. After scouring many posts that HG-1 users have made, concerns about seasoning were laid to rest, it literally worked very well straight out of the box once dialled in. The grinds fall beautifully in a uniform circular manner into the tumbler and I have no need for WDT when after I transfer my coffee grounds into a portafilter - you just need to get used to the flow. Is it perfectly level all the time? Of course not, it depends on how well you swirl from tumbler into the portafilter basket.

I've had no rubbing issues. What I can see is that for example, when you say coarsen up the grind setting to make a bigger opening for cleaning (so the gap between the upper and lower burr increases), as the wiper which is attached to the smaller burr housing, the plastic wiper will - of course sit lower in the tapered shaped tumbler - which of course is going to rub - but you wouldn't normally use this setting.

Extractions have been very pleasant on variety of beans from med to medium light, Ethiopian to South American, I haven't tried the darkest of Full City/Italian roasts whatever you prefer to call them. For a typical shot it is so easy to dial in the grinder and get a lovely espresso within that 24-26 sec range (if you want to be SCA pedantic about it). From the few limited tests I've done on the VST refractometer, no issues hitting that so called "golden cup range" if anyone cares for that.

I've been amazed at the build quality, the ease of use and changing grind settings. For those wondering how fine it can go, when I first got it, I had it dialled way too fine nothing was coming out of of the group head - more like a Turkish level grind size by accident :lol: - hope that helps to clarify some issues.

Almost forgot to add, retention is really negligible with or without RDT.

Bean Counter

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
djcuvcuv

#82: Post by djcuvcuv »

Bean Counter wrote:Copied and pasted from the Key thread:
Just joined recently and been folllowing a couple of threads. ....

Straight out of the box, you can see it's very well put together and well finished, pretty much flawless. I don't expect anything to be perfect as there is no such thing as perfection on this planet. ....

Bean Counter
Thanks for all the info here. I too recently received my HG-2, and love it so far, but I do have a few questions that I am curious if you can corroborate on your end from your experience:

1. Neither the magic tumbler (nor its wiper componentry) were included in the box (only standard). Does this ship separately or do you think it was omitted on error?
2. There is a tiny bit of play in the axle itself when attempting to follow quick-start instruction 2-1 (unscrewing lower axle cap); is this normal? (See short clip attached.)
3. I want to confirm that counterclockwise is the loosening direction for the lower axle screw? (See pic attached; I couldn't get it to budge!)
4. There is a tiny bit of play in the flywheel handle (see attached clip.)
5. There is a tiny bit of play in the flywheel itself (i.e. slight slight wiggle if i grasp wheel and gently torque it obliquely) but it is so slight that i cannot capture in video, you would simply have to try it yourself and feel the slight wiggle.
6. The flywheel handle "cap" seems to be easily removable -- is this normal? (See clip attached.)

question 2 clip)
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0s_Vej8 ... ampPy9cREg

question 3 pic)

question 4 clip)
https://share.icloud.com/photos/07jONv8 ... FeZa0DcX2Q

question 6 pic)

Apologies for the novella of a post, and thanks so much in advance for any/all help!

Best,
Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

DeuxInfuso
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by DeuxInfuso »

[Post#1 here].
Bean Counter, Thanks for sharing photo's of your new joy! DHL just delivered my new HG-2 about 30 minutes ago. Christmas in June!

The offer I responded to included the regular plus Magic tumbler; both were included. Check under brown crumpled paper, the two tumblers were in same vertical square cutout in the foam box filling. (Very well designed packaging and foam inserts inside double boxes. Individual items wrapped in foam sheet, paper and/or plastic overwrap. WW left nothing to chance in terms of shipment wear.)

The play shown in your video is normal gear lash. It is required to have some lash to avoid miter gear binding.
The handle axial play shown in 2nd video is also normal. Handles on both my HG's show a little play, for clearance, not noticeable in use.
The base screw is right-hand threaded, turn counter-clockwise to unscrew; I just verified this.

I ordered a silver HG-2 for light roasts, the Onyx HG-1 is for dark roasts.

I've had an HG-1 for >6 years, at least 200 kg of coffee through it, no signs of wear, but do check beans for concrete chips. It grinds as fine as it did when new, the powder fluffy, the taste great, and a bit of exertion is a good way to start the day working a little to grind some beans! I add 6 to 8 drops of water to 16.5 gram pre-weighed doses, shaken before grinding (a lot of static in Nevada, driest state in USA), no rust on burrs.

Hand ground, hand pulled, hands down! (Hat-tip to another lever-head).
-2013 Londinium I, 2006 KvdW Mirage Idrocompresso Duette, 2000 La Pavoni Pro (copper/brass).
LMWDP #...?

djcuvcuv

#84: Post by djcuvcuv »

Thanks for confirming that those two characteristics of the hg-2 are normal! That does make me feel much better.

However, I did elect and pay for the combo magic and standard tumblers and I confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the magic tumbler was indeed missing from my package. My packaging matched your description perfectly but that slot with the paper stuffing contained only the standard tumbler. Customer service with Weber has sadly been bad so far; I emailed them like 4 days ago about this and no response. For a customer to take a pledge with them and pay well in advance for a product under the promise that one will receive a immaculate product only to find something missing and radio silence from their customer service is pretty disappointing; at this price-point I hate to say it but that's not acceptable.

Anyway, can you (or anyone else) weigh in on the other two details, namely, the slight wheel wiggle and the handle cap removal?

Thanks all!
-Chris
Best wishes,
Chris

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#85: Post by Auctor »

On the handle cap removal, I had the HG-1, and I can confirm that the cap felt *too* easy to remove. I suspected that one day it might fall off, but in the 9 months of ownership before I sold the grinder, it never failed.

Bean Counter

#86: Post by Bean Counter »

Chris,

To try and answer some of your queries:

1. Neither the magic tumbler (nor its wiper componentry) were included in the box (only standard). Does this ship separately or do you think it was omitted on error?

I had small issue, yes the response wasn't immediate and took a second email. Sometimes things get overlooked and guessing for a small boutique company with lots of launches it's probably easily done, but my issues was resolved satisfactorily.

2. There is a tiny bit of play in the axle itself when attempting to follow quick-start instruction 2-1 (unscrewing lower axle cap); is this normal? (See short clip attached.)

I didn't notice if this was an issue during the unboxing and installation of the WDT base. As things stand now, when I place the allen/hex key in, it's not a perfect fit and so there is a bit of play - but that's not an issue with the grinder per se. If I grip the screw with my finger, the fly wheel will move as I turn. Regardless of whether you had play in that part of the housing, isn't the more important issue whether or not the mechanism moves after you install either the wiper base or the wiper + WDT attachment? Not sure if that answers your q.

3. I want to confirm that counterclockwise is the loosening direction for the lower axle screw? (See pic attached; I couldn't get it to budge!)

I gather you've worked that out by now!

4. There is a tiny bit of play in the flywheel handle (see attached clip.)

I think this was already answered and I agree.

5. There is a tiny bit of play in the flywheel itself (i.e. slight slight wiggle if i grasp wheel and gently torque it obliquely) but it is so slight that i cannot capture in video, you would simply have to try it yourself and feel the slight wiggle.

I think this was already answered and I agree.

6. The flywheel handle "cap" seems to be easily removable -- is this normal? (See clip attached.)

When I was first trying out the handle my cap came off and I it seemed loose. If you apply lateral force when rotating, I suspect it's more likely to come off. I haven't had an issue since the first time it came off and I placed it back in.

Hope that is of some help.

Bean Counter

maeitn

#87: Post by maeitn »

Out of curiosity after 1 month of using the HG-2: How are experiences, any good or bad surprises? And how is the magic tumbler performing? Does the standard tumbler add any value except in case your portafilter is not 58mm?

Any experience sharing highly appreciated as I have a Key on order and am trying to make my mind up about whether to order the standard tumbler on top.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
djcuvcuv

#88: Post by djcuvcuv »

the hg-2 oh boy, i personally love the thing. easy to use and grind quality is amazing. ive fooled around with both standard and magic and honestly they are both nice but one need not have both unless you really cannot fit the magic tumbler over your baskets. if you for some reason dislike the magic tumbler after some time using it then maybe go ahead and try standard but i would not preemptively buy it.
Best wishes,
Chris