Weber Workshop HG-2 teaser - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GeorgeP922

#71: Post by GeorgeP922 »

I am a bit disappointed they did not have an electric edition to complement the manual. Not enough good conicals in the market, def not enough to be competitive.

TomC
Team HB

#72: Post by TomC »

Spitz.me wrote:Is it replacing the HG-1 or is it an additional grinder?

I stand by my comment. I see no similarity between this high-priced luxury hand grinder selling "silence" and the Monolith/EG/Ultra grinders. Orphan Espresso understands the hand grinding market. The Lyn-Weber partnership is selling the absence of a motor sound for a high premium.

FWIW, I see any grinder of this size as a manual grinder, not a "hand" grinder. I'd hold that the Pharos falls in that designation too.

And there is no Lyn Weber partnership at all.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#73: Post by yakster »

Weber Workshops posted a new Instagram video of the HG-2 transmission. I didn't see the first one they had posted.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baonumber1

#74: Post by baonumber1 »

And James Hoffman is working on a review for hg-2.

ira
Team HB

#75: Post by ira »

From somewhere on the pages describing the HG-2!
The architecture of the KEY gives you the freedom to align and perfect the conical burrs to produce your perfect pour or leave it factory aligned.
Yes, but did he get a special one with perfect alignment or is it just factory alignment? Will it be a fair test of an average grinder??

baonumber1

#76: Post by baonumber1 »

It's hard to say without having a measurement of all the hg-2 grinders they sell, which I think is impossible to get. The best you can get is probably the manufacturer tolerance spec.

ira
Team HB

#77: Post by ira »

But really, manufacturer supplied samples are often tweaked to be as good as possible. Used to happen all the time with high performance cars in the 60's and 70's. If I was Weber and was supplying a grinder to Hoffman, I'd sure want to make sure it was both perfect as possible and that the burrs were fully broken in. A good review from him is worth a ton of sales, a mediocre review would be a huge hit.

Just saying!

Ira

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#78: Post by yakster »

James Hoffmann buys a lot of the products he reviews retail AFAIK which would not provide an opportunity to hand pick and tweak the review machine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

maximatica

#79: Post by maximatica »

He does that specifically to eliminate the opportunity for receiving a tweaked unit.

Any maker who was going to supply a review unit would be brain-dead not to make sure it was dialed.

I know a turntable maker who sent out a new flagship unit to the top analog reviewer and assumed he would know enough to release the transport screws so the suspension would work.

He didn't, he wrote a middling review because with the suspension locked down it sounded mediocre, and the product tanked in the marketplace.

If the maker had followed up when the reviewer received the unit, it would have been a different story.

Max./

jevenator

#80: Post by jevenator »

So do we have any user experience on this grinder yet?