Weber Workshop HG-2 teaser - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by ira »

I guess if you couldn't turn the handle, this might make sense, but seems like it's going to be a lot of extra money for a mostly pointless feature. IMHO anyway.

Ira

chipman

#12: Post by chipman »

Aren't we jumping the gun speculating how much extra this feature will cost? As for turning the handle? Some beans are harder to grind than others. I already have the first generation of the HG1 and like it for medium roasted beans. It may be me, but I have always sensed a bit of anti LW sentiment on HB. Not sure why.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
ira
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by ira »

I can't say what it will cost, but that transmission does not look like cost was a consideration when they designed it.

Ira

baonumber1

#14: Post by baonumber1 »

I'm also not sure why one would change gears for a manual grinder? Why not just set it to the gear that require the least effort? I actually love WW products and I'm getting one of their grinders, i'm just not sure why its necessary for a hand grinder to have a gear box

sadbox
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by sadbox »

We're already talking about a $1000+ hand grinder, well in to the realm of diminishing returns and poor value-for-money. At that point I'd expect a few non-essential nice-to-haves. Having a fast setting for medium-dark espresso or pourover grind sizes and a high-leverage option for nordic/light espresso seems like a nice feature to me.
LMWDP #674

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

For pourover and light roasts you want flat burrs and not conical so to put many options in it for that kind of use will be pretty useless.

I owned a HG1 of the first batch for 3 years and never had any issues grinding whatever bean and it was my daily driver (ground around 80kg with it). Have to say I'm 1,98m and 90kg and workout a lot. I can imagine a lot of people having trouble grinding medium roasted hard beans of light roasts.

sadbox
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by sadbox »

erik82 wrote:For pourover and light roasts you want flat burrs and not conical so to put many options in it for that kind of use will be pretty useless.
I think people tend to overstate the unsuitability of conicals for light roast espresso. I'm sure he has practical reasons for it as well, but even Wendelboe runs a Robur in his shop.
LMWDP #674

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
erik82

#18: Post by erik82 »

I've been drinking Nordic roasts for over 6 years on both big conical and big flat but flat burrs do give much better results when done right. Especially for pourover I find the difference to be pretty big.

There's a lot of research done on extraction with both conical and flat burrs but they all tend to show that flat burrs do work better.

y33brzk

#19: Post by y33brzk »

So medium to dark roast espresso is better on conical burrs?

chipman

#20: Post by chipman »

Medium roasts, like light and dark roasts taste better when coming from good equipment.