Weber Key vs EG1 with Core burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JayBeck

#1: Post by JayBeck »

I know some of you folks have a Weber Key and EG1. I've read at least one post on here where someone said they used their Key more than their EG1. I'd be interested to hear any feedback one someone who has used both grinders, specifically (not exclusively) I'd like to hear how the Key shots (especially at lower RPM) compare to the Core burrs.

NYPeter007
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by NYPeter007 »

I don't have a Key, so I can't speak to a comparison, but I do have an EG-1. I'll preface this by saying I like high clarity and crispy shots/filter coffee. I use my EG1 solely for filter. In my experience, the core burrs create lots of fines, and therefore is ideal for thicker shots with less clarity (at least in my point of view and experience). However, the ULF (ultra low fines) burrs for the EG1 is incredible for filter brews. I'm sure there are people with varied tastes and experiences that will have perspectives that differ from this, but based on my own biases and experience, that's my take on the EG1.

JayBeck (original poster)

#3: Post by JayBeck (original poster) replying to NYPeter007 »

It sounds like the ULF burrs are best in class for filter. I would definitely buy a set if I had an EG1. Have you compared the ULF to a 64mm SSP MP burr profile? I have read they are similar but the ULF is the next step up. Always curious to hear burr comparisons from multiple people. Thanks!

NYPeter007
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by NYPeter007 »

Yes, I do comparisons of my EG1 with the ULF burrs with my Fellow Ode Gen 2 with SSP MP regularly. Often times they produce similar cups, especially when still hot. As they cool, I notice some subtle differences. Generally, with most coffees I've had, the SSP MP produce a slightly lighter body, with a touch more perceivable acidity. The ULF usually have slightly more body, and perhaps depth? But it's usually very close. Depending on the coffee, I may prefer one over the other. But considering the price point, I'd recommend to many to just go with a quality 64mm grinder with the SSP MP. If you have the money, try the EG1 with the ULF for filter. Doing comparisons is fun!

#5: Post by JayBeck (original poster) »

Thanks! This is very helfpul

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Well I don't have a Key but I owned the HG-1 which has the same burrs and I own a EG-1. In essence it's just the flat versus conical difference in profile. The 83mm Mazzers in the Key are more bimodal then the CORE burrs so better at darker roasts whereas the CORE shines much more in everything else. And that's only talking espresso where the CORE can do pourover (although the ULF are ofcourse much better) while conicals just aren't great at that.

#7: Post by JayBeck (original poster) replying to erik82 »

I agree about Key pourover. Never had a great one. I have had a great Key batch brew on my Bonavita doing 70/1300 8 cup brew which shocked me. But for 1-2 cups i always go K Plus or Pietro.

I enjoy my Key but I have a Micra / Pico on the way. I think the Pico can do milky drinks as good as Key so I'm thinking about keeping Pico, selling Key, and doing either an Orbit with MP burrs OR really splurging for the EG1. Love the Key workflow and I would miss it.

roopaksuri

#8: Post by roopaksuri »

EG-1 v3 owner here. For filter brews especially with light roasted coffees, the Ultra burrs are highly recommended. I have also tried light roasted April Coffee espessso with Ultra burrs for quite a while, to produce 1:2-5 to 1:3 ratio shots.

I compared the cup quality of EG-1 Ultra brews with Fellow ODE Gen 1 with SSP MP burrs & also with Fellow Ode Gen 2 (gen 2 burrs). For one-tenth the cost, Fellow ODE Gen 2 is almost as good as EG-1 Ultra for filter brewing.

The area where EG-1 really shines is espresso. These days I'm using it with core burrs for medium roasted espresso beans from La Cabra.

I have not tried key but most folks I know use Key for espresso.

#9: Post by JayBeck (original poster) replying to roopaksuri »

Thank you.

I have a Key, Ode v2 and Pietro. Sounds like I'm set honestly. I love the espresso my key produces, light to dark roast thanks to RPM adjustments (lower RPM for lighter roasts and higher for darker, generally). Ode v2 is very balanced; Pietro is very juicy and good enough that the PITA it is to grind offsets for doing high quality single cup brews.

DanielCroft

#10: Post by DanielCroft »

I have a mk1 key, v1 eg-1 with the blind core burrs in it, and a versalab m4.

The key definitely has the conical mouthfeel going on if that's what you're looking for, but no surprises the eg-1 makes better tasting espresso for medium and lighter.