Weber Key settings for espresso and pour over

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Frenchman

#1: Post by Frenchman »

People who grind both for espresso and pour over... How far are you from your espresso setting to your pour over one? Am new to pour over (again...) and want a starting reference to try. Will use a Stagg X or an Origami, playing with both since I bought them about a year ago.

I tried this Rogue Wave Cofee recipe and I get a 2:35 or so pour after changing my grind from 3.2 (espresso) down to 2.2 for the pour over. I was hoping to not wrap around 0... (And I don't want to change my 3.2 espresso reference to 0.2, as I don't want to cross under 0 as beans age, and sadly the adjustment rings only allows you to change the scale by 3 whole units one way or another.)

Also, and maybe I am entirely wrong here, but I wait until there is no more dripping to call the extraction done. Is that correct? (This seems to not always be the case).

Is that people's experience, approximately? The recipe says this is a fast pour with a finer grind than typical (they say medium fine), so should I expect to go more than one full turn away from espresso whevener I do pourover? I just hope not to forget the setting there :D . Espresso/cappuccino is what I truly care about.

I hit 2:30 at 3.2, exactly a full rotation off from my espresso setting. That's close enough to 2:20 for me, I think, but I took a picture of the ground coffee. That seems quite coarse to me, no what I would call medium fine. What do experts say? I didn't taste the coffee, those were sacrificial beans I wouldn't drink (Victrola medium espresso roast) while I looked for the grind setting and sacrificed those and a few filters (and a lot of my time). Picture below. I would call this pretty coarse...

LMWDP #712

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

When I sent my Vario in to be refurbished and swap the ceramic burrs for steel burrs so I can dedicate it to pour-over duty I believe that I was one two full rotations coarser plus at least two two full numbers to set the Key for my Behmor BraZen coffee pot. BTW, I moved the numbers around so that the zero mark was at my normal espresso grind so it was easy to put back. Using the Key with my Robot I've found that I rarely have to adjust the espresso grind from shot to shot and coffee to coffee. I've been grinding at the slowest speed setting.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

The adjustment on the Key is very fine. You would not want to use it for espresso and pour-over. You are going to have to make something like 10 or more full 360-degree rotations of the adjustment ring.
Dave Stephens

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Each full rotation will change the grind by 15 x 5 x 5 = 375 microns so you probably won't need to turn it even three full rotations between espresso and pour-over.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

interesting. I realigned the burrs on my unit when it arrived. UPS beat the life out of it. I remember turning and turning and turning for what felt like forever to get from zero back to espresso. Guess I was mistaken.
Dave Stephens

JayBeck

#6: Post by JayBeck »

I've had my Key for about 7 months. Two things I can share:

1. The grind consistency greatly improves as the burrs age. My grinds looked like yours out of the box. Now that they are fully seasoned they look much more uniform, especially at drip settings.

2. I do about 360 degrees, 1 rotation. That's your starting point. Adjust up to 45 degrees in either direction based on taste.

This is an amazing dual purpose grinder. Also try adjusting RPM too for taste and grind. 90RPM is a good base line. Slower RPM makes for a slower shot/pour but higher extraction and vice versa. Enjoy!