Weber Key Grinder - Page 99

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bakafish

#981: Post by bakafish »

BruceWayne wrote:Someone earlier posted 3-4s for a step, which I find rather large given the step size.
Yes. The 3-4s and 7-10g said at 6:30 of the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm-nVwtD_00 is not a big difference considering the first 5s is usually no coffee out. My huie-71 with Mazzer 71mm burrs is 10 microns a notch, only 2 seconds.

-Toby-

#982: Post by -Toby- »

Sprometheus just put his Key up for sale for 1000$ on Instagram.
I think this wobbling axis really is a deal breaker. I'm thinking about cancelling my order.

Ypuh

#983: Post by Ypuh replying to -Toby- »

Do you maybe have a link of this?

Indirectly I feel that's quite a statement that he's making. I'd also not be happy with this issue (Prometheus is not the only one I've seen so far). The downside; there probably is no easy fix which means grinders have to be returned, in my case across the pond with taxes/shipping costs and everything and hopefully service skips the line of other backers that need to wait longer. I assume the problem can/has already been fixed for current production runs.

These type of issues are to be expected with a new product from a small manufacturer. It's why early adopters receive a $500 discount. In that sense my feeling is that you should allow Weber to fix the issue before abandoning them.
I don't want a Decent

majs2009

#984: Post by majs2009 »

Even though WW have beautiful designs, I think their QC and customer support needs improvement. This a $2,000 grinder! I would not gamble my money on possible miss alignment or stalling issues. I remember even Lance Hedrick in his Instagram live stream called them out on their customer support an QC when he asked them about his misaligned EG-1 burr carrier.

For reference at time stamp 14:45 and 19:40

ML_603

#985: Post by ML_603 »

-Toby- wrote:Sprometheus just put his Key up for sale for 1000$ on Instagram.
I think this wobbling axis really is a deal breaker. I'm thinking about cancelling my order.

do you think it's possible to get a refund?

i do also feel that the grinder isn't up to the hype they built before, and some of the specs are now different from the original marketing as some pointed out. Like going from 50-300RPM to now being 38-158 RPM..

On top of this, Sprometheus goes from "I'm not ready to give up on the Key yet" in his part 2 review to now trying to sell his key on Instagram..
really makes me doubt my purchase and wanting to back-out.
Plus the ridiculously long queue to get mine delivered being a backer #30xx...

Steveholt

#986: Post by Steveholt »

That's a big statement in public.

And tbf, leaving aside the public face of it, it's quite rational too.

Taking a 30-40% hit to get back 70-60% of the money you paid for something after deciding it is not for you is pretty common and normal in "gear" based hobbies.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#987: Post by mborkow replying to Steveholt »

In this case though it sure looks like buying someone else's problem. He should return the grinder instead.

malling

#988: Post by malling »

I honestly doesn't like that approach, if your unsatisfied just return it. Sending a grinder to another individual well knowing it's not perfect is just passing on the problem.

Auctor

#989: Post by Auctor »

Unless the product was purchased as part of the campaign, in which case he can't return it through traditional methods.

Edit: and he can't get it repaired by Weber either, since it was deemed to behaving normally.

stump007

#990: Post by stump007 »

-Toby- wrote:Sprometheus just put his Key up for sale for 1000$ on Instagram.
Does he always resell the products he tested on Instagram in the same fashion? What a curious practice for an influencer..