Weber Key Grinder - Page 83

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jessipoo

#821: Post by Jessipoo »

kpoz
What have you used to clean it? Just soap and water, or rubbing alcohol?

I ordered one in Snow as well, and so I am curious to hear from other owners about whether they have this issue. In the few videos and posts on social media that I have seen, I can see smudges on the Onyx model but I assumed they were fingerprints.
soap and water
an all purpose natural cleaner
soft clothes (different kinds to try to polish it out)

none made a difference
I did take an eraser on the top to try to dull it and it did work but then made other marks so I stopped and didn't push it further

Interesting I didn't know there was a forum!

Also, yes, of course I contacted Weber Workshop the moment I saw it with clear photos (I think it was the next day when I saw it in sunlight).

Jessipoo

#822: Post by Jessipoo »

jasiano wrote:
Those who have one already with the magic tumbler.... how in heck do you take the stopper out so the grounds fall into the PF cleanly and evenly? Always seems to either stick to the sides of the tumbler or fall unevenly into clumps (which then needs separate WDT, something I hoped to avoid with the magic WDT built in wire).
ya I've been having issues with clumps falling into the PF actually which I was surprised about.
The static however, is something I noticed and where I live it's cold and that means less humidity so I'd either need to rdt which I'm avoiding cuz that's just going to ruin my workflow with single dose bean cellars.
But I did a test and lower rpm does create virtually no static (I had it at 30, but it took almost 2 minutes to grind 20g of beans for espresso so that was just too slow)

I'm still getting the hang of this forum.. new around here. I click reply on a post and think it's going to automatically ping the person in their notifications but I guess not, it just adds it at the end of the thread, how do I do this after the fact since I didn't click the QUOTE originally? doesn't seem like I can do an @ for someone and I can't delete a post and restart either

chipman

#823: Post by chipman »

You can edit your post to include quotes.

AJ_Grey

#824: Post by AJ_Grey »

I'm not crazy about the delays but I'd rather have it right than fast. I knew this was going to take a while so I bought a comandante to hold me over till when ever it arrives. It's been a huge step up from my old rocky and I've been enjoying all kind of coffee with it. Some of those light roast high elevation beans are quite the work out and super tough to grind. I imagine it will be June before I see mine.

N714

#825: Post by N714 »

I just tried this today same bean same grind size 18.2g in

50RPM: 36g out in 36s
150RPM: 36g out in 16s

Interesting results, I thought it would be the opposite, Have anyone tried this?

FaantastiK

#826: Post by FaantastiK »

I just tried this today same bean same grind size 18.2g in

Interesting results, I thought it would be the opposite, Have anyone tried this?

Were you expecting the lower RPM settings to grind faster? Have you noticed any difference in the cup between 50 and 150?

N714

#827: Post by N714 »

Higher rpm kwon to produce higher fines which slows the extracting, and I have experienced this with the lagom p64..

The slow rpm shot was great, but the fast one was sour because it was fast extraction. I think We need to match extraction time to compare the two rpm

I'll try to redo this maybe I missed something

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#828: Post by Jshot »

N714 wrote:I just tried this today same bean same grind size 18.2g in

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

So, to match the extraction you would grind finer w the higher rpm. I'd be curious how those two shots compared.

Looks like I'll have a new variable to play with. Nice!!

Jessipoo

#829: Post by Jessipoo »

N714 wrote:I just tried this today same bean same grind size 18.2g in

that makes sense... faster rpm, grinds faster.
30pm 20g dose: 1:45
150 rpm 20g dose: 16 sec

I didn't notice a huge difference in taste, slightly more texture at higher rpm which makes sense since slightly more boulders and fines
The biggest difference I noticed was the grind time AND static. No static at 30rpm (no rdt), tons of static at 150rpm however, I live in Canada where it's Winter and the humidity in my kitchen according to my little tool is under 30% so it's quite low. Even with rat and 150rpm, there was static.

N714

#830: Post by N714 »

those numbers you mentioned ,is it the extraction time or the grinding time?