Weber Key Grinder - Page 75

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jshot
Supporter ♡

#741: Post by Jshot »

I'm wondering if the wood base can be replaced with another wood. I'm assuming it's just laying in there, but has magnets?

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#742: Post by JB90068 »

Hugonl28 wrote:Thanks for the link to the image, I didn't know that one yet, very encouraging that they take shaft straightness so seriously! Ok so that dramatically improves my confidence in the KEY. Very sad my original HG-One has a bent shaft, makes it unusable actually. Otherwise it would be an excellent grinder and I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade, since it's awesome in every usability aspect: zero retention, fast grinding, stepless adjustment, awesome burrs. Might start looking for a replacement shaft..
Have you tried the Peyronie blend to fix that? :D
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Feca

#743: Post by Feca »

Hugonl28 wrote: I think the long shaft of this grinder's design is a weak point, it exaggerates any milling error, making it very difficult to get the lower burr turning exactly centered.
This is precisely why I backed out of my crowd funding order months ago, don't trust the long shaft design. I hope it works for everyone who got one though, I just would be constantly doubting whether the shaft is centered/straight or not!
LMWDP #724

jakline

#744: Post by jakline »

FaantastiK wrote:Has anyone in the US had to pay additional duty/fees for their air shipment once the grinder arrives? I'm debating an upgrade to my shipping method, but unsure about what the total cost will be.
My Key finally arrived tonight. Original date was Monday, but customs held it up and DHL took forever to send the email asking for my SSN, address and phone (as well as Weber's address).

The good news was no duty or fees.

OceanPeakArch
Supporter ♡

#745: Post by OceanPeakArch »

Curious what backer number you were. I'm 320 and paid the DHL shipping for an Onyx one.

zip15

#746: Post by zip15 »

I am backer number 31 and was told my Key (ONYX) would ship next week. I was charged for my upgraded shipping on Jan 12th. Will follow up when I get tracking info

Hugonl28

#747: Post by Hugonl28 »

Feca wrote:This is precisely why I backed out of my crowd funding order months ago, don't trust the long shaft design. I hope it works for everyone who got one though, I just would be constantly doubting whether the shaft is centered/straight or not!
Interesting! I'm also concerned. Still not sure if I should rather be looking at a grinder with a shorter shaft. What grinder did you go for then instead? Levercraft looks pretty sturdy..

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#748: Post by Jshot »

If I wasn't getting the Key, my next choice would be the MC4 Monolith. That's the grinder I'd like see compared to the Key.

Chrikelnel
Supporter

#749: Post by Chrikelnel »

Hugonl28 wrote:Interesting! I'm also concerned. Still not sure if I should rather be looking at a grinder with a shorter shaft. What grinder did you go for then instead? Levercraft looks pretty sturdy..
Don't think Levercraft is making grinders anymore. There's always the Monoliths, which Levercraft was heavily inspired by, or the Lagom P64 and P100.

Serjitankian

#750: Post by Serjitankian »

Did anyone else notice the key grinder in the background of hoffmanns newest video ("Understanding the Moka Pot (Episode #2)? cant wait for the review :)

★ Helpful