Weber Key Grinder - Page 51

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#501: Post by baldheadracing »

Auctor wrote:Agreed, so then why do the review? Slow news week for coffee-related stuff? :P
I assume that his Patreon supporters had asked for the HG-2 to be reviewed.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jcran17

#502: Post by jcran17 »

baldheadracing wrote:It was interesting to me to see the Magic Tumbler's effects discussed. (He was positive.)
Given I still take my V1 HG1 for the occasional spin, and the associated routine involved, the magic tumbler looks like a nice addition.

Advertisement
Ypuh

#503: Post by Ypuh »

Overall it looked to me he was quite positive about this HG-2 grinder, manual grinders just aren't his personal preference and the price seems to be outrageous (for a manual). From my understanding in this price range there are no bad competitors anymore, just slightly, very slightly different taste profiles.

If he still uses a Niche on a daily basis which he calls 'muddied' or a '6-7' compared to the 5 grinders in the ultimate showdown; the rest of them is just a few % better at a 3-5 times the cost. No more need for a measuring contest with grinder XYZ if you'd ask me. You know you're not just paying for the performance increase at that price point, but design, workflow, materials, build quality etc. come into play which are largely bound to personal preference.
I don't want a Decent

Jeff
Team HB

#504: Post by Jeff »

So much comes down to more than just one dimension. I think my Compak K10 WBC is superior in the cup to my Niche Zero. It's not the need to brush out the K10's chute after every shot that keeps me from using it, or even its size. It comes down to being willing to sacrifice a tiny bit better cup for the easier grind-size adjustment of the Niche. Would James or some other "expert" weight things the same way as I would?

BodieZoffa

#505: Post by BodieZoffa »

Jshot wrote:Also, I don't think he was particularly fond of a $1500 manual grinder. Admittedly not his thing.

I think the Key will be a more involved review.
The manual grinding aspect really owned him for lack of a better description as he seems to struggle wrapping his head around the process/mechanics involved. Almost like he is stating 'yes, you can indeed get great results from a manual grinder, but why when you can simply push a button on an electric?'...

Ypuh

#506: Post by Ypuh replying to BodieZoffa »

Valid observations, especially considering it's practically the same price as the Weber Key coming out in minutes.
I don't want a Decent

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#507: Post by Jshot »

BodieZoffa wrote:The manual grinding aspect really owned him for lack of a better description as he seems to struggle wrapping his head around the process/mechanics involved. Almost like he is stating 'yes, you can indeed get great results from a manual grinder, but why when you can simply push a button on an electric?'...
I imagine him thinking why Weber offered a manual or electric version of the same grinder for the same price. Why would anyone 'want' to manually grind?

Advertisement
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#508: Post by baristainzmking replying to Jshot »

Arm workout?
Julia

versusqc

#509: Post by versusqc »

Jshot wrote:I imagine him thinking why Weber offered a manual or electric version of the same grinder for the same price. Why would anyone 'want' to manually grind?
Well, the "same price" is supposed to be a limited time offer, with the regular price HG2 is 25% cheaper...I'm assuming the margins are smaller on the indiegogo offer than what would be viable/profitable in the long term. I think the fully anodized construction of the HG-2 and the 2-speed gear box are more expensive to produce than the ceramic coating on most of the Key and its non-variable downgearing also explain why the price difference is smaller than some would expect

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#510: Post by Jshot replying to versusqc »

When referencing the price of the Key some use $1500 some $2000. We know that Weber sold more than 2500 at the lower price. How long will it take going forward from the campaign for them to sell 2500 units at $2000??

I'm guessing it'll take awhile...I'm curious what others think.

I'm guessing the Hoff will give the Key a full review and answer the question most have. Is the Key a Niche killer?

My answer is no, but it may still unseat his Niche as a daily grinder. We'll see.