Weber Key Grinder - Page 50

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jshot
Supporter ♡

#491: Post by Jshot »

It would be great if they would release another video showing the features of the grinder. Nothing slick or polished, just a walk around and demo.

AJ_Grey

#492: Post by AJ_Grey »

I was happy to see the update and really appreciated the fact it included some production pictures. I've been wondering the last couple weeks about how things are coming along. All and all it was a much appreciated update with good information.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#493: Post by baldheadracing »

It's not the Key, but James Hoffmann just reviewed the HG-2 with Magic Tumbler. It was interesting to me to see the Magic Tumbler's effects discussed. (He was positive.) There was also some discussion of the Key and comparison to the Niche in the review. 18:28 long.

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#494: Post by Auctor »

Thanks for the video. For 18 minutes, I wish he said more about the espresso compared to other conicals. Admittedly, I'm not the target audience since I owned the HG-1, but he didn't didn't take the opportunity to test out some different SOs or different roasts to help us discern whether the price premium is worth it.

(Note: in the comment section, someone else made a similar point and Hoff weighed in to say, "good idea", but really? 18 minutes and you don't think that the main reason, or second reason, people buy their gear is for the taste?)

Loved that he liked the automatic WDT, and the general theme of this review certainly bodes well for us future Key owners. Just a little more excited now!

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#495: Post by walr00s »

Auctor wrote: (Note: in the comment section, someone else made a similar point and Hoff weighed in to say, "good idea", but really? 18 minutes and you don't think that the main reason, or second reason, people buy their gear is for the taste?)
You really think he didn't comment on it out of neglect?

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#496: Post by Auctor »

I don't want to assume negative intent, but are you implying that the quality of the grounds was subpar, and that he passed on a more comprehensive taste test to pull his punch?

If that's what you meant - having used the HG-1 for quite a while, I kinda doubt that. If I'm wrong, apologies, I am not quite following.

What I believe *may* have happened is that he chose not to do a more comprehensive test because that takes a lot of time, and he's on a deadline to create [2] videos a week. Having researched complex stuff for a quick turnaround/presentation in my own past, I can certainly understand why he'd "fluff it up" instead of digging deeper - certainly easier to finesse the pitch.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#497: Post by Jshot »

Also, I don't think he was particularly fond of a $1500 manual grinder. Admittedly not his thing.

I think the Key will be a more involved review.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Auctor
Supporter ❤

#498: Post by Auctor » replying to Jshot »

Agreed, so then why do the review? Slow news week for coffee-related stuff? :P

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#499: Post by walr00s »

Auctor wrote:I don't want to assume negative intent, but are you implying that the quality of the grounds was subpar, and that he passed on a more comprehensive taste test to pull his punch?

If that's what you meant - having used the HG-1 for quite a while, I kinda doubt that. If I'm wrong, apologies, I am not quite following.

What I believe *may* have happened is that he chose not to do a more comprehensive test because that takes a lot of time, and he's on a deadline to create [2] videos a week. Having researched complex stuff for a quick turnaround/presentation in my own past, I can certainly understand why he'd "fluff it up" instead of digging deeper - certainly easier to finesse the pitch.
Nah, I definitely don't think he's hiding some negative judgement. I just don't think it's neglect. Maybe he's of the opinion that if you use good coffee and a good enough grinder, the results are good and there's not any certain measured distinction of quality to be made beyond that. Or maybe he just doesn't want to enter the arena and let people interpret him as saying "Weber grinders are better than Lagom" or whatever might be drawn from a more detailed review of the in-cup quality. I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons that might explain his reluctance to go too into depth on the actual cup experience of high end grinders.

MNate

#500: Post by MNate »

I feel like he did talk a lot about in the cup... all the talk about body and it having more flavor separation than the niche but not as much as a big flat... a bit like a middle ground between the two (which I'm reading as best of both worlds, haha... ). I wouldn't expect him to do any more.

I was glad to see what he thought might be a gimmick turned out a bit better than expected (magic tumbler).

I'm pretty hopeful still. Yeah, someday I'll get a big flat again (single dosing this time), but I still think most of us who like medium roast espresso with a little milk should probably stick with conicals, even though the cool kids push us otherwise.