Weber Key Grinder - Page 49

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BruceWayne

#481: Post by BruceWayne »

I think you have to proactively move out of the free shipping category by selecting the $200 shipping option if you're in the US. I figure the grinder will arrive when it arrives, so it wasn't worth paying even more to get it sooner.

jasiano

#482: Post by jasiano »

BruceWayne wrote: I figure the grinder will arrive when it arrives, so it wasn't worth paying even more to get it sooner.
This is way too zen compared to some of the hysterically entitled comments in this thread
-Jason

Down Under

wineman

#483: Post by wineman »

BruceWayne wrote:I think you have to proactively move out of the free shipping category by selecting the $200 shipping option if you're in the US. I figure the grinder will arrive when it arrives, so it wasn't worth paying even more to get it sooner.
Thanks ! The $200 shipping changed a few steps later. Not sure why they added a shipping cost before the address step. Relieved. Looking forward to trying it.

octref

#484: Post by octref »

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the first 48 pages - is it still possible to get the early discount somehow? On the indiegogo page many reward tiers still have spots remaining.
$2k is a bit hard for me to pull the trigger, knowing that people in this thread got it for $500 less...

BruceWayne

#485: Post by BruceWayne »

Short answer no.

Long answer, indiegogo slots are meaningless at this point. They only add in groups so you can buy at the group price when the campaign is open, but everything closes when the campaign ends.

Auctor

#486: Post by Auctor »

octref wrote:$2k is a bit hard for me to pull the trigger, knowing that people in this thread got it for $500 less...
Given how many people have already publicly commented on their desire to simply try it out, if you can wait until Late Oct / Nov, I suspect you'll see six or more of these for sale in various places. He sold 2k+ machines in a single period. Gotta assume that some of these will find their way to the buy/sell.

octref

#487: Post by octref replying to Auctor »

I don't know if it'll be like buying 2nd hand monoliths: people selling 2nd hand units beyond retail price, knowing the wait time is longer than 3 months...I'm sure even if someone got it for $1500 he/she will sell for $1950 :roll:

Auctor

#488: Post by Auctor »

No doubt you could be right, but I doubt they'll sell for anywhere near $2k. The first few that make it to market, maybe. But why pay $1950 second hand when a brand new one is available for $2k (which it is, currently)? Monoliths keep their price in the secondary market because its still a 3-9 month wait to get a new one, if you're lucky. Weber has thus far kept the Key and HG-2 available for immediate purchase.

BruceWayne

#489: Post by BruceWayne »

I'm not sure what their plan is, but the main reason for the delay in the Indiegogo shipments is that the US orders are getting shipped by boat. Non-US orders will get shipped by DHL and there was an option to ship them faster for the Indiegogo survey. There'll probably be user updates posted soon from people who got theirs shipped directly.

Since WW had to gear up to produce all these grinders, it's likely they will have capacity to handle any later orders quickly. It shouldn't end up like monoliths. Also, this burr is used in several grinders, HG-1, HG-2, Option-O HSM Conical, and even the company in China that sells HG motorization kits is selling an 83 mm conical grinder. The HG-1 and HG-2 should be effectively the same grinder. There won't be a scarcity issue, IMO.

versusqc

#490: Post by versusqc »

New update is OUT! Sounds like production is progressing well (for the US grinders, I wouldn't hold my breath for it to reach us before Christmas, but I expected this)!
Those aluminium pieces are nice, I wish they would anodize them black to match the finish of the grind chamber, but I understand that would be extra cost for them since they wanted the snow and the onyx one to be the same price.
I hope they will keep us updated, I can't wait to see the assembled production grinder, hopefully we'll get a peek at the gearbox soon!