Weber Key Grinder - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ira
Supporter ♡

#131: Post by ira »

I guess the question is, if everything is machined perfectly, how can anything rub during only part of a revolution?

Ira

bakafish

#132: Post by bakafish »

erik82 wrote:How would a manufacturing process of a whole grinder be terrible if a very small plastic part that doesn't do anything for grinding rubs a bit.
I aimed at the part I quoted only, not the whole grinder. But even if the small part is made roughly, I don't think the whole grinder would be good enough to me. Of course, it is to me only. I think there may be a compromise of quality or manufacturing process on some other parts as well.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
ira
Supporter ♡

#133: Post by ira »

Lynn/Weber or whatever have always made beautiful and mostly well thought out things, priced to match. They also tend to claim they make the best of whatever it is. The downside of that, is they put themselves up to a lot of scrutiny and when they make something that doesn't seem perfect, they and you should expect a lot of questions and criticism. When the said, grinders come with "factory alignment but you can make if perfect if you desire," they set themselves up for criticism because they admitted they are not making them as good as possible. When they put out a video with something rubbing unevenly, they do the same thing.

If you run around claiming to be perfect, you had better be perfect or be ready to fix or explain any issues that come up.

Ira

notsimar

#134: Post by notsimar »

its a prototype, not the final product, and a promo to be used for crowd funding. I sincerely doubt the final product will have these issues.

ira
Supporter ♡

#135: Post by ira »

Does Apple ever show anything that's not finished? That's where they claim they learned from. Look, I'm sure it will be a great grinder for 90+% of the people who buy it. Our question is will it be great for 100%? Would making sure the burrs were better than "factory alignment" improve that to 99+%? I don't know the answers, but they deserve the questions because of the pedestal they put themselves on.

Ira

chipman

#136: Post by chipman »

So many negative comments for a grinder that no one has actually used. Any bias shown is strictly coincidental? One question though. if the wipers are supposed to wipe grounds off the funnel, how would they work if they didn't rub on the funnel?

ira
Supporter ♡

#137: Post by ira »

The should rub, but in the video, the seem to rub during only part of the rotation. It's Lunn Weber or some subset of that who claims to make only the highest quality products and charges that way. So, we're poking fun at them for seeming missing that goal on this product. And because it's LW, and their track record is good, people are defending them as if they can do no wrong. Till it ships, it's just conjecture on all our parts, but commenting on the conflicting statements they've made is part of the fun, especially given their previous attitude.

Ira

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Jshot
Supporter ♡

#138: Post by Jshot »

I'm curious if the Key will be a better grinder than the Niche Zero in terms of grind quality, retention and workflow.

So far it appears as though it could be.

chipman

#139: Post by chipman »

The wipers on my HG1 are thin flexible plastic. they deflect when in use. They do the job they were intended to do. checking my funnel after a grind shows a perfectly clean surface.

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#140: Post by rhtrevino »

Jshot wrote:I'm curious if the Key will be a better grinder than the Niche Zero in terms of grind quality, retention and workflow.

So far it appears as though it could be.
I know style is subjective but I love the look of this grinder vs. the Niche. So I certainly hope the cup quality is there! Unless I can find a Monolith, I plan to get the Key in onyx.