Weber EG-1 Version 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

New version for those who can afford skipping a couple of mortgage payments: https://dailycoffeenews.com/2022/11/28/ ... an-branch/

RyanJE
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RyanJE »

It's a piece of art, but boy is it expensive! It would be interesting to see a shoot out of eg1 vs. p100 .... Hoffman did something similar a while ago but p100 wasn't out. Looks like he had one in a recent video...
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

babola

#3: Post by babola »

Hmm, in this day of age only the few will be brave enough to sink that much in a grinder, good one at that but still a grinder. V2 was already out of reach for most, the V3 has pushed it even further away.

Euro disti and service center expansion sounds great, but for how many?

Time will tell, I guess.

ricky403

#4: Post by ricky403 »

Brian Quan had posted a video about the comparision between EG-1 and P100.

sluflyer06

#5: Post by sluflyer06 »

babola wrote:Hmm, in this day of age only the few will be brave enough to sink that much in a grinder, good one at that but still a grinder. V2 was already out of reach for most, the V3 has pushed it even further away.

Euro disti and service center expansion sounds great, but for how many?

Time will tell, I guess.
People snatch up Flat MAX's for $3450(3520 shipped to US) with no hesitation, $3895 really isn't THAT much more if you're already considering grinders at this price bracket.

I do think however to the USA you have to add something like $350 to the price between shipping and import duties...

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

I have three Weber grinders and have never been charged import duties. I can't remember the shipping costs, but I did have to pay shipping.

malabargold

#7: Post by malabargold »

Just paid an import duty of $220 for my v3

imp96

#8: Post by imp96 »

The price hasn't increased that much with this new version, but it in a way has crept up sneakily.

Eg1V2 used to be 3500, then it increased to 3750 during the pandemic and now the new v3 is 3895.

What they don't tell you is that at 3500 price you used to get the base for blind shaker + portafilter forks. Sometime when the price went up to 3750, they changed the base to be with an oak piece + centering magnet but removed the portafilter forks. You can buy the portafilter fork set for an additional 300 (not listed on the website but you can contact them by email).

Now with the increase to 3895 you get a coffee brush (35$) + the new purge feature. I think the purge issue is useless. Just now after I finished grinding coffee at 500RPM I increased the RPM to MAX and didn't see any coffee come out. The real sneaky part here is that this price increase fixes a problem that hasn't been addressed. The grinder will stall at low RPM even when grinding medium-light roast for pourover, if the beans fall in very quickly and evenly. I suspected that this is probably due to PID mechanism used maintain the RPM, and the sudden increase in the resistance stalls the motor. They have now included a mechanism for firmware updates to the grinder which I am guessing will address the PID issue. The stall problem has also been addressed by programing the purge button to spin the burrs in reverse when it is pressed with the grinder off, to unclog the burrs.

The price on the onyx v3 hasn't gone up but you no longer get the ssp burrs with it so basically a 150$ dollar increase.

Having said all of this, I am actually very happy with the grinder and would buy it again.

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by RTOBarista »

This grinder is getting old and the burr size is 83 mm while new grinders are offer 98.

EvanOz85

#10: Post by EvanOz85 replying to RTOBarista »

The burrs in the EG-1 are 80mm, not 83.

You're looking at this completely wrong. There's nothing "old" about these burrs or the grinder. 98mm is not a "newer" thing or necessarily better than 80mm, but rather a different thing for different tastes. In fact, I think 80mm came out after 98mm. Ditting Lab Sweet burrs are 80mm and are the favorite of many people here.

I recommend doing a little research into burr sizes, geometries, and their uses.
★ Helpful