Weber EG-1 Version 3 - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
erik82

#61: Post by erik82 »

I can tell you the fork and ring set works great. And well preferences clearly differ as I love the blind shaker but hate grinding in the portafilter :mrgreen: . It even works with my unconventional Strietman portafilter.

And indeed the price difference is only color now where you used to get a set of Ultra burrs and a leather mat extra. But maybe the difference was even larger back then. Probably better to buy the Ultra burrs along with it instead of getting the Onyx.

benrudick

#62: Post by benrudick replying to erik82 »

Do you have their $400 PF?

erik82

#63: Post by erik82 »

No it doesn't fit the Strietman. It's only for Pavoni and Olympia. I do have a $300 (after taxes and shipping) Billet basket from Sworksdesign :mrgreen: .

ntsimmonds

#64: Post by ntsimmonds »

Just got my EG-1 a couple weeks ago and one thing that I can't seem to find any solution for is...

Are there any lids I can put on the dosing funnel for this thing? I have found nothing here on on Reddit about putting a lid on the funnel, but I'm sure that this is something that has already been solved somewhere. I found a total of one Etsy seller making wood lids, shipping from China for $60-70~ USD and, while I know being thrifty and buying an EG-1 don't go hand in hand...I'm expecting there to be at least one more option out there that isn't that expensive.

I know I could probably just put a ball or something in there but I'd rather have like a 3d printed drop in plug or something that is nondescript and easy to deal with

HBchris

#65: Post by HBchris replying to ntsimmonds »

why not just use the lid from the blind shaker?

erik82

#66: Post by erik82 »

I just put a 49mm rubber blind filter on it.

ntsimmonds

#67: Post by ntsimmonds »

I do like the idea of the blind shaker lid since it's the identical finish, but I tried it and wasn't a fan of how it just floats there and can move easily if touched or pushed. Same thing with the smaller rubber backflush disk, but that did inspire some ideas, and I ended up using a wine bottle stopper. I ordered a pack of rubber ones, and they don't fit the way you'd put them into a bottle, but reversed - the flared end fits ever so perfectly in the hole and it's tapered so it's easy to grab/replace

Not a final solution but it's kinda close to what I was envisioning

HBchris

#68: Post by HBchris »

came across this etsy sellter that does wood lids for the EG1:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1576079930 ... d?ref=cart

BigHatFannyPack

#69: Post by BigHatFannyPack »

Is the intent to cover for aesthetic or functional reasons? I don't have issues with popcorning so curious if this is more from a dust cover angle.

sboplataz
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by sboplataz »

Spider guard :)