Weber EG-1 Version 3 - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Toxicswan

#51: Post by Toxicswan »

I had a P100 for almost a year before my EG-1 v3. Took me a while to get past the more complicated workflow. Now I realize the espresso is better most of the time. But my EG-1 sounds like the car/spaceship on the Jetsons. Is that normal??!!

DanielCroft

#52: Post by DanielCroft »

I have an EG-1 V1, I've put a rubber mat under the grinder which helps a lot with the noise depends on the counter it's on. Might be some other issue but might just be normal noise. Some pitches on the counter are awful and resonate painfully.

erik82

#53: Post by erik82 »

It all depends on the burrs and rpm. Low rpm will give a lower sound whereas high rpm as more screaming sound. The Ultra and CORE make a higher pitch then the Base burr. But there isn't much between the burrs and the outside world so that also doesn't help. I don't think it's much louder then most grinders and it's only for a couple of seconds.

jfjj
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by jfjj »

Toxicswan wrote:I had a P100 for almost a year before my EG-1 v3. Took me a while to get past the more complicated workflow. Now I realize the espresso is better most of the time. But my EG-1 sounds like the car/spaceship on the Jetsons. Is that normal??!!
What burrs were you using. I want a 80mm grinder but on the fench about the EG-1. Not a lot of 80mm grinders.
- Jean

Toxicswan

#55: Post by Toxicswan »

I had the Core burrs installed. It's not loud at all. It makes the noise of the Jetsons car. Only way to describe it! It isn't constant there is a high chirp with each rotation. I removed the burrs for the first time today and they have deep scratches on them. I put my HU burrs in instead to start seasoning and trying out. I think something might have damaged my core burrs.

HBchris

#56: Post by HBchris »

are the core burrs not good with light and medium roasts espresso? I thought i recalled in Lance Hendrick and James Hoffman reviews saying they did very well with light and medium roast with good balance of flavor separation and body.

erik82

#57: Post by erik82 »

They do a good job with light and medium roasts. There somewhere in between bimodal and unimodal. They won't be as clean for light roasts as the SSP HU/Ultra (same burrs) which is something you may not even like but they're far from the conical profile from the Base burrs. They're kind of good at everything but do shine the most with medium roasts. They're really great burrs.

Toxicswan

#58: Post by Toxicswan replying to erik82 »

Exactly my impression. Core gave us some amazing medium light roast espresso and great pour over.

Ullke

#59: Post by Ullke »

Hey guys, I'm very close to pulling the trigger and ordering a EG-1. Am I right in seeing that the only difference between the silver and onyx V3 is the color? I remember that earlier they came with different burrs but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore? 400 USD for black colour seems steep so think I'll go fot the silver one

benrudick

#60: Post by benrudick replying to Ullke »

Close to ordering too! Between EG-1 and a Flat Max and Lagom 01.

And yes I think $400 is just for the color. But we're in Weber land where money is a collective hallucination :)

My question is whether it's worth getting the Fork and Ring set and grinding directly in the PF instead of using the blind shaker. I had a blind shaker by itself with the Niche and found the workflow a bit annoying. I'll probably grind into PF, WDT, tamp and go.