Weber EG-1 Version 3 - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
imp96

#11: Post by imp96 »

An interesting piece of trivia is that 80mm burrs are actually bigger then the 83mm burrs. The inner diameter of 80mm burrs is smaller so the surface area ends up being bigger.

EvanOz85

#12: Post by EvanOz85 replying to imp96 »

Yeah, which is why I'm puzzled that Turin came out with a DF83 rather than a DF80. The larger diameter of 83mm offers an increase in speed, but not really much more edge to edge cutting space than 64mm.

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by RTOBarista »

Thanks for the correction.

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by RTOBarista »

I am new to this and seems with your knowledge you can recommend where to start.

I don't feel all review are that honest. What are your recommendations for a grinder primary for espresso, light and medium roast, some dark for milk drinks?

EvanOz85

#15: Post by EvanOz85 replying to RTOBarista »

If I was forced to pick only one grinder for all of those uses, I would go with a P64 with HU or MP burrs. If you drink more light than medium, go with MP. If you drink more medium than light, go with HU.

If you want to spend more and go for 98mm, get a Monolith MAX with Shuriken SLM burrs. Your light roast espresso will be taken to new levels, and I personally love the taste of both dark and medium roasts from it. Some people say the SLM burrs don't do well with darker roasts but in my experience that's BS. I also love the filter coffee from the SLMs, but it took a lot of seasoning to get there.

I think you would be happy with either of them though.

heytchap

#16: Post by heytchap »

EvanOz85 wrote:If I was forced to pick only one grinder for all of those uses, I would go with a P64 with HU or MP burrs. If you drink more light than medium, go with MP. If you drink more medium than light, go with HU.
Would personally opt for neither and go with cast which seems to be the best balance of both.

EvanOz85

#17: Post by EvanOz85 replying to heytchap »

I've had very mixed results with the cast burrs for espresso. They're extremely finicky to grind size, and I prefer the taste of light roast espresso on both the MP and HU burrs over the cast. The cast, however, is my favorite for filter.

heytchap

#18: Post by heytchap replying to EvanOz85 »

Cast v2 are dead easy. Sucks that you're having a bad experience.

RTOBarista
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by RTOBarista »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have looked at the Kafetek MC5, I have seen some review complaining of the very slow grind time with the Kafetek Max

EvanOz85

#20: Post by EvanOz85 replying to RTOBarista »

The slow times of the Max was for the V1 Shuriken burrs. Denis has since modified the the pre-breakers and feed-rate, and my 2022 with Shuriken burrs can grind 18g of light espresso in about 10 seconds or less.

I wouldn't get an MC5 if you're drinking a lot of light roast espresso. It's better for that use than the MC4, but I still far prefer the taste of light roast espresso from my flats.